Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2004, 12:53 AM   #1

The following was recently reported online.

"As an owner of a Canon Digital Rebel (aka 300D), I'd always hoped that someone would find a way to tweak the firmware to unlock some features of the more expensive 10D model. (Either Canon in response to later Digital SLRs in the same price range, or some individual.) I hadn't searched the web for any firmware tweaks since last Xmas when I got the camera, but today a reader sent a note that there is a modified 300D/Rebel firmware to unlock some of the advanced features of the 10D model (like IS0 3200, custom functions menu, button remapping, Flash Exposure Compensation, mirror lockup and more).

It turns out there's been several revisions to the 'unlocked' firmware the last few months, with the latest version released on June 16th. For a list of changes (as well as many other tricks and cost-saving tips for Digital Rebel/300D owners) see http://www.bahneman.com/liem/photos/...el-tricks.html . That page links to a PDF file with info on the Firmware's features features and known issues (such as problems changing the language), as well as how to revert back to the standard 1.1.1 firmware. (A link to the Canon site for the 10D PDF manual is also included there.) The source of the firmware is http://satinfo.narod.ru/en/download.html . Of course the usual disclaimers (warranty is void, etc.) applies to any unofficial firmware like this, so use it at your own risk.

It took a -long- time to download the firmware .rar file from the primary site (typically less than 500bytes/sec, often stalling). The mirror site link was faster, but displays in the browser if clicked rather than downloading, although save-as is an option, I chose the primary source download. My (non-updated) Stuffit Expander 7 reported an error trying to uncompress the .rar file (not confidence inspiring...) however I downloaded UnRarX 2.0 which worked without any errors. I copied the .FIR (firmware) file to the root of a Compactflash card and updated the firmware (powering the camera up with a .FIR file in the root of the CF card prompts to update the firmware - it will allow applying the (modified) 1.1.1 firmware over the existing official 1.1.1 firmware. This takes several minutes so make sure your battery isn't low. The flash update went fine, and the 2nd setup menu now includes a new "custom functions" menu with 17 options (not all functions are verified working in current version - see PDF doc).

SET Button function when shooting (none, change quality, change parameters, Menu Display, image replay)
Shutter release w/o CF card (possible/not possible)
Flash sync speed in Av mode (Auto, 1/200sec fixed)
Shutter button/AE Lock button (AF/AE Lock, AE Lock/AF, AF/AF Lock - no AE lock, AE/AF, no AE lock, )
AF-assist beam/Flash Firing (emits/fires, does not emit/fires, only ext. flash emits/fires, emits/does not fire)
Exposure level increments (1/3 stop, 1/2 stop)
AF point registration (several options)
Raw+JPEG rec. (several jpeg quality options)
Bracket sequence/Auto cancel (0,-,+/Enable, 0,-,+/Disable, -,0,+/Enable, -,0,+/Disable)
Superimposed Display (On, Off)
Menu button display position (previous/top if powered off, previous, top)
Mirror Lockup (disable, enable)
Assist button function (Normal, Select Home Position, Select HP while pressing, Av+/- AF point by QCD, FE lock)
Auto reduction of fill flash (enable, disable)
Sutter curtain sync (1st-certain sync, 2nd-curtain sync)
Safety shift in Av or Tv (disable, enable)
Mirror Lockup pause time (1.5 sec, 3 sec, 4.5 sec, 6 sec, 7.5 sec, 10 sec, )

Although I updated the firmware, I may never use most of these features (I don't have much free time to use the camera) but if anyone with a Digital Rebel/300D that's more experienced tries this firmware, I'd welcome your feedback . Feedback I've seen posted in camera forums on the net so far seemed positive, noting most of the advanced features worked, including FEC and Mirror Lock."
MisterNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2004, 7:03 AM   #2

Ey MIsterNeil!

Actually I've downloaded the hack 3 months ago. But haven't loaded yet on my 300D. I've also posted here if there's a hack with 2nd curtain sync. But as I've read your post, I saw the Shutter Curtain Sync line that there's now a "2nd curtain sync" feature on the hack? Have you tested this already?

Gracie!

dive
dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 2:03 AM   #3

I believe that if you follow the link in the message, you can read about the hack a little more. It has a list of things that the hack can do. Next to that list is a YES or NO of wether or not that function works. Next to Second Curtain Sync, it says no. Take a look, I may be reading it wrong.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:29 AM   #4

-headhunter66

I've downloaded the pdf file of the firmware. Yep! you're right. There's still no 2nd curtain sync. :-)

dive
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:37 AM   #5
NHL

... I thought you can enable the 2nd curtain sync from the flash: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...05&forum_id=37
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 1:31 PM   #6

If you have a flash that has SCS (550EX), then yes, you enable it in the flash. But if you have just a regular flash, there is no SCS. I know that on my Elan II, it has the SCS on the camera, but the DRebel does not have that feature.

Dave
headhunter66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 17, 2004, 6:40 PM   #7

-headhunter66

yep! i know you can do it with a 550EX flash. Too bad I only have the now defunct 380EX! :-) Still planning to buy the 550EX as soon as my cashflow is enough! :-)

dive