Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:54 AM   #1

I got my DRebel today, Im freshly off of work and dead tired but I got the battery on the charger for first thing tomorrow morning to start getting ready for the wedding photos. I only got 14 days of practice time.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2004, 6:02 AM   #2
NHL

... Well you have two weeks to order an external flash (if you have not done it already)! :-)

My recommendation is to get any dual-head Metz out there, and probably a used one since they are the best return for your investment $. Otherwise expect to see under/over exposure problems depending on either the camera focus on the bride or the groom

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 2:37 PM   #3

I am looking at a Canon 420EZ Speedlite for $130 used from B&H good deal yes/no?
Old Jul 13, 2004, 2:59 PM   #4
NHL

FYI http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...15&forum_id=53

... you'll eventually need more control over the camera E-TTL mode (and more power to boot)!
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:47 PM   #5

Hmmm..hope your bidding on a 420EX as the EZ line was made for their older film cameras, and most do not support E-TTL.

I bought a 420EX. I found it to be a very capable and easy to use flash. I shot a graduation ceremony located 35 feet away from the stage, and got proper exposed and evenly lite photos.

I do not miss the manual controls. Frankly, I have found that I can tweak them using photoshop in a worse case scenario.

As for FEC missing on the DRebel, if it is a deal breaker, you can always install the firmware hack that will give you that option.

Also, be aware, the 420EX is the only flash that I am aware of, that will give you full 7 point AF coverage. This is important for proper exposure in how Canon uses E-TTL. The problem is that it uses the focus point to set flash exposure. If your flash (even the 550EX only supports 5 sensors) does not have full coverage, then you will risk bad flash exposures.

I have yet to get a bad flash exposure using the 420EX. Just something to be aware of. There are ways to get around this, such as controlling your focus point to ensure that the focus sensor and the flash reading is covered, etc. Just be aware of it.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 7:34 PM   #6

NHL wrote:
Quote:
... Well you have two weeks to order an external flash (if you have not done it already)! :-)

My recommendation is to get any dual-head Metz out there, and probably a used one since they are the best return for your investment $. Otherwise expect to see under/over exposure problems depending on either the camera focus on the bride or the groom
umm dual-head Metz?? explain? also I am looking at a 420EX now for $170, Its been given great reviews and with a diffuser to soften the light a tad it would be perfect, then later I could get a second plus the ST-E2 transmitter for even more flexibility.
Old Jul 13, 2004, 8:54 PM   #7
NHL

FYI http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...85&forum_id=37

1. The Canon's E-TTL metering is very sensitive to black and white areas, the two most prevalent colors at weddings: If the camera's AF point lands on a white gown (or table cloth from the diner party) -> you'll get underexposure. If the camera picks its AF point from a black tuxedo -> you'll end up clipping the white on the bride! :sad:

2. An older flash like the Metz does not use E-TTL: The camera is fixed on manual and the flash is set on auto instead. The sensor on the flash average the whole scene and is not affected by highlight or low-key areas.

3. The main head on the Metz is used to bounce off the ceiling to cancel out any shadow while a smaller front head provide a direct illumination -> even lighting with no hot-spot.

4. What you'll find out with a single 420/550EX on your camera is that the background usually blacks out because they do not provide enough depth... and if you bounce the single head they don't have enough oooumph to cover a large group of people... You can always use multiple Master/Slaves, but remember the photographer move around a lot during a wedding reception.

5. "Unfortunately, E-TTL has been a particular problem for digital EOS users. Many users report serious problems with wildly varying exposure when using an E-TTL flash unit with their Canon DSLRs, particularly the D30 and D60. Some of these problems stem from the users focussing and recomposing and failing to use the flash exposure lock (FEL) feature, which sets the wrong area around which the flash will meter. But many problems can't be blamed on this. The main problem appears to stem from the way in which E-TTL on these bodies biases flash exposure heavily to the focus point. For more information please consult the section on E-TTL flash metering patterns. For this reason some digital EOS users have given up on E-TTL and gone back to the old-style autoflash units. Others routinely set their lens to manual focus once focus has been achieved, since the camera uses a centre-weighted average metering pattern for flash metering when in manual focus." http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/#digital

6. It's also rude and tacky to scan people with the AF illuminator from the flash. Personally I set if off through the camera's CF function... The camera does not need it!
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:05 PM   #8
NHL

FYI

http://www.photographyreview.com/PRD...x.aspx#reviews
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:37 AM   #9

hey guys here is a few shot that I took today to get used to my camera, I loved it, I went to a local parrk that has different sub theme gardens, japanese, rose and one or two others, more photos will be posted tomorrow.

http://www.iwantworldchaos.com/forum...=0&#entry10755
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:50 AM   #10

Great! Were these all on Auto or did iyou choose the settings youself?
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote