Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 13, 2004, 3:51 PM   #1

I own now the film EOS Elan camera (8 years old...)

I'm considering of buying the 10D.

The thing which bothers me the most is the 1.6 multiplier of the image size. I have a Tamron 17-35 mm DI and I'm 'addicted' to a wide angle photos. the 17mm will become 27mmwhich is not wide enough for me.

My dilema is whether to buy the 10D now or to wait until a full frame digital SLR with the 10D functions (and price) will be on market.

Does anybody know how long it would take?

What would be the prices like ?

Thanks
eransh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2004, 4:40 PM   #2
NHL

Would it be more cost effective to get a 12-24mm and start taking pictures right away?
http://photography.about.com/cs/digital/a/a031504_2.htm

Look at all the cost saving you'll be making at the long...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 6:05 PM   #3

Take NHL's advise. Full frame right now costs $8,000.00. I too want the same thing but feel like it's probably more realistic to hope for a sub $2,0001.3 crop body somewhere in the nearer future.

Who knows how fast it'll be though. We'll all just have to wait. Canon surely isn't going to spill the beans. Think of all the 1.6 sensorcameras they're going to sell until that day comes. If it's going to be a while I would thinkwe wouldstartseeing higher spec EFs type lenses for the upper tiered market to use with all Canondigital SLR'slike Nikon is doing with their DX line. The longer we go not seeing that from Canon makes me think a larger, if not full sized, sensor isn't too far down the road.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 7:08 PM   #4

I'll be the first to buy the Full Frame as it will defiently help in my photography. I do know that Canon will release a full 38mm frame by the end of this year and the price won't be cheap, starting at $8,000! :shock:
blackcat1134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2004, 9:17 PM   #5
NHL

If you're not into sport/action, the Kodak SLR/c is hard to beat for wedding/studio workflow and also with a higher resolution for landscape.

"Only" $4500 @ B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=326234&is=REG

NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 12:49 PM   #6

NHL wrote:
Quote:
If you're not into sport/action, the Kodak SLR/c is hard to beat for wedding/studio workflow and also with a higher resolution for landscape.

"Only" $4500 @ B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...234&is=REG

A local studio has one of the Kodak SLR with the Nikon lens mount. It takes some very nice pictures.

Has anyone heard if Canon is working on making some more EF-s lenses other than the kit lens? Also since these lenses will only work on the Digital Rebel it does not make sense to me to purchase them as I know I will not always use the DR.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:07 AM   #7

My guess answer to this is:
Not for a long time.

The larger the sensor the more expensive is it. It takes more materials. It's harder to make without defects. It's more expensive to throw away when it is defective.

Yes, the digital camera market has profit margins which would sicken us all... but I don't the price coming down that much any time soon.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote