Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 14, 2004, 10:39 PM   #1

I own a coolpix2100 right now and it's basically just my point and shoot just for fun camera. I take more "professisonal looking" pictures with my mom's Canon Powershot G1. I get decent pictures but I am completely dissatisfied with the lag and inefficient zoom. There is a lot more I don't like, but can live without. I mostly take pictures at rodeos and shows so I really really need zoom. My dad and I went to the camera shop and he insits on getting me the 10D. I could settle for the Rebel, but he really insits on the 10D because it can do an 8 shot burst versus the rebel's 4.

The only thing is I am very concerned about price. With the lense we're looking at (EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM) It will cost us about 1700 depending on where we shop. Im concerned that I am getting way more than I need but I realy do need the huge zoom and love the burst option and interchangeable lense option becaue he wants pictures of his watches and wants a macro lense or something too.

Anyhoo, should I go through with the 10D if I don't plan on doing such really professional works? I mean I liek to take pictures of my friends racing and want to start taking portraits of friends with their horses but I don't intend to go completely professional. Please help me! Thanks!

Amy
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2004, 11:31 PM   #2
NHL

Just turn the dial on the green square and the 10D will point and shoot just like your Coolpix or Powershot! :-):-):-)

... you can then learn each feature as you go. :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:04 AM   #3

Honestly, as a 10D owner, I do like it over the rebel, but aside from a few features they are essentially the same camera. The one biggie is the burst.. 9 shots as opposed to 4. If you think you need that, go for it. Otherwise spend a bit less on the body and get a whoppin big memory card, or another lens
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:04 AM   #4

I agree with NHL ( a common thing!)

And for what you're taking picture of, the 9 picture burst is really nice. In fact, you'll find that it isn't enough! I know I wish it was bigger. Not often, but it's always those special moments that you want to take as many as possible of.

The question I have for you is actually about that lens. Are you taking picture of outdoor or indoor rodeos? When you shoot now, what fstop do you use? Is it smaller than f5.6? f5.6 will work with good light, but if you don't have the light you're stuck and you'll have to use higher ISO. You should have some idea now, since you've been shooting with other cameras (and producing good stuff, I've seen your posts.)

Getting the wrong lens is really annoying (and expensive.) But you should be able to look back at your older pictures and see what settings work for you... and then use that info to help you with this purchase. An f-stop is an f-stop, it doesn't matter if its on a DSLR or a pocket point-and-shoot.

And the 10D will work well with your Dad's macro work too.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:07 AM   #5

Usually outside in daylight. Look at my avatar.. thast me running at a show which I would be likely to take pics of people.

Will that lense work for that? The camera shop guy said it would be really good, and we're basically goign blindly into it with as much help as we can get.
discodudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 6:56 AM   #6
NHL

If you can afford it, stick with the L-series from Canon for lenses.

Stay away from the cheap Canon's except may be a 50mm or two. Most 3rd party carries excellent lenses (slotted between the entry level Canon's and their "L") which are affordable, but you must select them carefully... The rule of thumb is faster lenses (ie with the wider aperture) from theses folks, usually have better glass behind them and they won't break your family budget!

The other benefit of faster lenses, like a constant f/2.8 for example, is that it will let you shoot in lower light at higher shutter-speed and is more suitable for action shots than a slower lens with IS. The viewfinder is brighter and you also you have the luxury of more control in DOF to "pop" out a subject from its background... Beside it also helps the camera AF!

Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:16 AM   #7

whoa there fellows!

The guy isn't a professional, and from his post, he isn't made of money either.

You want an honest opinion...you do not need the best there is out there. I have a Digital Rebel and love it. It is cheaper then the D10, but the photos it makes are just as good. That 4 shot sequence isn't all that bad. With the proper fast compact flash memory card, you can take 4, wait a second, and take another 4, etc...till you have filled up your memory card. If you need more, then you are a professional needing to get that one shot so you can sell it and make a living from it.

As for the kit lens, it isn't all that bad for the money. It is the cheapest way to get wide angle with DSLRs out there. If you don't like it later, then you can upgrade. The kit lens only cost you $100, and is great way to get into wide angle photos. In bright daylight, you really won't notice the difference between fast and slow lenses. Fast lenses have the ability to decrease your depth of field. That would be the only advantage in bright sunlight.

L lenses are great if you don't mind paying $1000+ per lens. Maybe an option later down the road, but I know many many Canon photo amateurs who don't have the $$$ for Ls and really can't justify the cost for their love of the hobby. If youra working pro, then it is an investment, and pays for itself in very little time.

So, frankly, the DRebel is probably more camera then you will need. The only problem with it is not the 4 frames per second burst, but the inability to select your focus modes for moving animals. This might be a problem, this might not. I have found that the camera works admirably on sport mode, but you do lose that control that manual does give you.

My suggestion is read the reviews on this great site and others. Make an informed decision. You will find that DSLRs are wonderful cameras, no matter the model. They all perform heads above the best 8 megapixel compact wonderkin today.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:17 AM   #8

Sigh, I dislike when I double post...
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:20 AM   #9
NHL

Quote:
As for the kit lens, it isn't all that bad for the money. It is the cheapest way to get wide angle with DSLRs out there. If you don't like it later, then you can upgrade. The kit lens only cost you $100, and is great way to get into wide angle photos.
... True, but this is not an option if "he insits on getting me the 10D... because it can do an 8 shot burst versus the rebel's 4" :-):-):-)

Quote:
They all perform heads above the best 8 megapixel compact wonderkin today.
I don't know... I played around with the A2, took some pictures and really like it. I wouldn't mind getting one to carry one around everywhere or as a backup!
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:02 AM   #10
kex

Chako wrote:
Quote:
whoa there fellows!

The guy isn't a professional, and from his post, he isn't made of money either.

And also that guy is a girl.

discodudette:

I asked myself the same question, whether a drebel or 10d is too advanced for me.
But I decided to buy one at the end of this year, maybe a little earlier.

I think there's no "wrong" in that decision. If you'd like to take even better pictures and especially action shots, a dslr is the right way I guess. That's why I consider one, too.
kex is offline   Reply With Quote