Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 15, 2004, 9:13 AM   #1

I have a fairly new 10D, to which I've just added the 100-400 canon lens.As I shoot and review the shots on the camera, I'm amazed at the sharpness -fantastic, even when cropping way in. Yet when I download to my PC they are terrible, to the point that they looktotally out of focus. These shots are done in small JPEGs, should that be relevent.

Any ideas, clues, etc. as to what's happening here?
Thanks!

Bennadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 15, 2004, 10:01 AM   #2

I had a similar problem with my rebel and long lenses. take a good look at the image you'll probably find that it's camera shake. Rest the lense on something soft, support the tip of the lense. then try some shots. All this means nothing of course if it's an IS lense, then try a different lense instead.

Hope this helps.

mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 12:35 PM   #3

I would certainly recommend using the highest JPG setting (if not RAW.)

It is probably camera shake, but here are a few ideas.

First, the lcd on the back is not a good way to judge sharpness. You can tell when it's really off, but when it's close, it really doesn't work. I've had shots I thought were good on the camera, but not on the computer. Also, I found that the LCD makes it look brighter than it actually is.

Do you use a tripod? Yes, the 100-400 has IS and it works well. But if you're really picky, a tripod is a must.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 1:32 PM   #4

Thanks for your input. Yes, the lens is IS, and most of the shots were in daylight at minmum of 1/90 sec. Sooooo....maybe I'm getting really shaky in my old age. I'll try similar shots with the tripod to see if that is the case. Actually, I hope so - otherwise I'm not sure where I'll go with this.
Bennadad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 11:29 PM   #5

IS isn't a mirale. 1/90 of a second at what focal length? At 100mm, yes that should work. At 400mm, no, don't expect that to work even with IS. It can work, if you are really steady, but don't expect it to. And it won't always work.

Also, the 100-400 is a bit soft at 400mm, but sharpens up at 380mm. I assume when you say "terrible" you don't mean "soft". To me, there is a huge gap between those words. If you were a perfectionist who likes to stretch things for dramatic effect? Ok, probably not.

Eric

ps. If you haven't guessed, I have the 10D and 100-400L for a bit over a year.
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 2:34 PM   #6

I have the 100/400L also and use it with my Rebel.

Eric is right on with his assesment of the conditions and result (especially the focal length comment).
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 6:45 PM   #7

Why not post some shots?

I just bought 100-400L and it seems sharp to me. I am using it only at 400mm and hand held.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19, 2004, 7:32 PM   #8

After having my 300D for a month and assuring myself that I knew how to operate it I returned it for repair. (I left the lenses with them too.) I just couldn't get very many in-focus shots. I used a tripod, remote release, single focus spot - it just wouldn't focus. I tested it with a flower, a grid etc. I'll be interested to find out what Canon has to say and do about it.
sodicoff is offline   Reply With Quote