Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 20, 2004, 9:56 AM   #1
tsw

Does anyone have experience with the Cannon EF 75-300 IS USM with the Digital Rebel? I have trouble with out of focus pics due to shake so I am looking for a semi reasonably priced IS lens. I do a lot of outdoor pics and some wildlife. Thanks
tsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2004, 11:44 AM   #2
NHL

tsw wrote:
Quote:
... I do a lot of outdoor pics and some wildlife. Thanks
Does theses activities involve moving subjects ?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:14 PM   #3
tsw

Usually stationary, but that has been do to only having a point and shoot. I just recently got the digital rebel. I would like to have some capability to shoot wildlife on the move.
Old Jul 20, 2004, 12:53 PM   #4
NHL

Stationary static object is OK...

If the subject moves then you'll need a faster lens for a corresponding faster shutter speed to freeze it when the sky is overcast or under trees cover. IS is not going to help you when a subject "shake". You can get a faster lens than the EF 75-300 which is f/5.6 @ its max. A faster f/2.8 lens will let you quadruple the shutter speed for example.

Now if you want a lens to be both fast and with IS then "reasonably priced" is certainly out of the question. :-)
Old Jul 20, 2004, 1:19 PM   #5
tsw

Thanks for the advice. I think a fast lens with IS probably has one too many 0's on the end.:-)
Old Jul 20, 2004, 1:27 PM   #6
NHL

A reasonably priced IS and better than the EF 75-300 is probably the EF 28-135 IS USM... It's not just as long, but more flexible @ the wide
Old Jul 20, 2004, 1:51 PM   #7

I used to own that lens and it works perfectly fine in most instances. It does tend to be a bit on the softer side above 200 mm, but not to the point of being unusable. Granted, a faster lens would be nice, but you are looking for reasonable costs. Take a look at other lenses such as Sigma and Tamron and consider a stable tripod. You CANNOT beat a tripod for image stabilization and it will allow you to use your lens in lesser light. I own IS lenses and usually rely on a tripod anyway. IS is nice, but it's not the end all to camera shake, nor does it replace the need for a good tripod for slower shutter speeds.

Now if you're looking to get stop action photos of a cheetah or count the nasal hair of a distant warthog, you're barking up the wrong tree with that lens, but for most casual hobby photography it will workjust fine.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 4:52 PM   #8
Administrator

ohenry wrote:
Quote:
...count the nasal hair of a distant warthog...
I've got to remember that one! :lol:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote