Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2004, 12:14 PM   #1
tsw

Thanks for all the previous feedback. I only have the money to buy one more lens for my Rebel.(in addition to the kit lens) I do most of my shooting outdoors in places like Yellowstone and Denali and I want IS. Would I be better off with the Cannon EF 28-135 IS + a tele convertor or the EF 75 - 300 IS.
tsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 1:10 PM   #2

It's really a question of if you need the reach of 300mm or not. I own the 28-135 and its a good lens. Its also a nice size to carry around.

My view of Yellowstone and Denali (great places, from all I've heard) are that you'll want more wide angle than zoom. But you really haven't stated here what you'll be taking pictures of. With the kit lens, you'll already have a decent wide angle, but the 28-135 does give you IS in something that isn't that far from wide.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 9:29 PM   #3

To my understanding, you Cannot use a tele convertor with the 28-135 IS lens. I think you CAN use one with the 75-30mm lenses . . . but only if you shoot the camera in Manual. Canon has designed these tele convertors to work better with the more expensive (of course) 'L' lenses. Typical of Canon. Someone correct me if I am wrong.
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:46 AM   #4

The Pro class of Sigma TCs are the same way. They have a physical protrusion which hits the rear element of the lens. This is the same as the Canon TCs.

So you can't completely blame Canon for this problem. They need to have a class of TC which works great with their high end longer focal length lenses. To do that they made it physically incapable of being used with the other lenses. I guess they could make a lower class of TC which didn't work as well with those but did ok with others.... but I believe Sigma already makes a TC that fits that description.

Eric

ps. You can get around the physical limitation by using an extention tube. You loose infinity focus and about 1/3 a stop of light. But you can use the TC.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 5:11 PM   #5

Eric

How many TC's does Sigma manufacture? I haven't seen the different models you have made reference to, do you have a link?
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 5:28 PM   #6

Let me take a look.

Humm, I couldn't find it either. Maybe I'm thinking of an older mode? I do know that the protrusion problem is correct. You can easly see if you look at the TC, for example, in this picture:

http://www.adorama.com/SG14XEOS.html

That part sticking out at the bottom will hit the rear lens element on many lenses.

Eric
Old Jul 24, 2004, 6:46 PM   #7

Eric,

In the item you've referenced the protrusion on the bottom inserts into the camera not the lens? It is quite flat on the lens attactment side. Perhaps its the TC 2x that protrudes?
Old Jul 24, 2004, 6:53 PM   #8

Nope, that one is not protruding either. I think you'll find that its the other way around, the lens protrudes in to the TC causing interference on some lens. You really have to consult the chart at the Sigma site to check compatibility, not something one should guess at.

I know that the Sigma 50-500 has a lock at the 100mm position to keep the elements from bottoming out into the TC.
Old Jul 24, 2004, 7:34 PM   #9
NHL

I have both the Sigma 1.4x TC and the EF 28-135 IS USM. The Sigma 1.4xTC will hit the back of the Canon at the 28mm position -> You can not physically mount the two together... until the 28-135 is zoomed in to about 45-50mm position! :?

The 1.4xTC's internal is about 1/16" forward of the lens mount, but the EF 28-135's rear which is flushed with the lens elements (@ the 28mm) needs to move in 4/16" inside the TC (ie at least 5/16" of interference. Only when the zoom is retracted to the ~50mm position then the two devices will mate.

... Same story for the Sigma 2x TC which I also have.
BTW the pictures of the TCs (both 1.4x and 2x) in the Adorama link are not for EF's Canon: look @ its rear electrical connections. The Sigma for Canon's TC internal both extend above the mount on the lens side.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote