Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2004, 3:09 PM   #1

Any 300d users out there using this lens? Looks like a good buy for $269.
bobshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:54 PM   #2
NHL

FYI

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9506475
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 9:29 AM   #3

I've had the lens for three days and have been usingit with my 10D. The range is great. I opted for this over the Canon 28-135. Having the lower end (18mm) makes it much more useful....and fun! Unfortunately, the lens is alittle softer than I had hoped, but certainly in line with the price of the lens. I've gotten some very good snapshots and I'm still happy I purchased the lens.
DaveCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 4:09 PM   #4

And when you stop down to f8?
miodragj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:34 PM   #5

f8 at 1/125 to 1/250 w/ ISO 100/200 depending on the light produces good pictures. I like them, but they aren't as clear as the shots we take at work (a Sheriff's Dept) with our 10Ds outfitted with Canon lenses. If I didn't see the photos at work I wouldn't know the difference and would be even more pleased with the lense. I'm not complaining about the quality; I think it'sgood. I also use a Sigma 70-300 that does well. Even so, I'm savingmy penniesfor the Canon 24to 70L as my next lenses.
DaveCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 8:07 PM   #6

I picked the lens today and have placed a few samples at:

http://bobshell.smugmug.com

Some of my outdoor shots are overexposed. All of the pictures were all taken in auto mode. I was wondering if this is something I can correct via PE 2.0 or is it a lens defect? Thanks for any suggestions.
Old Aug 9, 2004, 10:42 AM   #7

Bobshell, your pictures look normal to me. You've shot some range of brightness beyond the capabilities of a digital sensor--and possibly even a film camera. Circumstances like this are problematic. The answer is to (1) bracket and then combine the images using a PS layer mask, or (2) expose for the highlights and hope you retain enough shadow detail to create two images (one adjusted to the highlights and one for the shadows) which you can use with a PS layer mask. Thisapproachcan bea little more successful using RAW images, as they tend to have greater latitude for adjustment.

Otherwise, the pix are acceptably sharp. I wish that lens had been available last September, as it would be a excellent alternative to the Canon 18-55mm with its extreme zoom range and internal focusing.
wburychka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 9:26 AM   #8

Thanks for input on the pictures. I just wanted to make sure that the lens was not defective. I really love this lens. For $269, it's a bargain. I just started to experiment with the RAW format and can see why this is preferrable to many users.