Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:15 PM   #1

What exactly does the depth of field preview button on the Canon Digital Rebel do? I just got my camera a week ago and still cannot figure out how to use this or what it's supposed to do!:?
Lori Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2004, 5:40 PM   #2

To see what it does change the mode of the camera to AV (aperture priority) and bring the aperture down to 10 or so. Then when you press the button you will see the image darken.

To know what is happening you have to understand a few things. First a larger aperture (smaller number) gives you a smaller DOF. But a smaller aperture (larger number) will not let as much light in so hence you need a longer shutter speed or higher ISO but you will get a larger DOF. Second is when you are looking though the view finder you are not seeing everything as it will be when exposedas it will always have the aperture to the largest the lens can go so to let the most amount of light in so you can compose you picture. So if you want to see what your DOF will be with the aperture you have chosen you have to press the DOF preview button. This will adjust the aperture to what it will be when you expose the image.

I hope that makes sense.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2004, 11:17 AM   #3

Ok. I was using it mostly in Manual mode, and large apertures. Guess this is why. I will try the AV and small f number. Thanks!
Lori Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2004, 3:54 AM   #4

"Ok.* I was using it mostly in Manual mode, and large apertures.* Guess this is why.* I will try the AV and small f number.* Thanks!"

It also works in Manual mode. You can press the DOF button too while selecting you desired F-stop.

dive
dive is offline   Reply With Quote