Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:39 AM   #1

I have theEOS 300D digital Rebelwith the matching battery pack, BG-E1, and I've been looking for a good flash bracket- mostly to enable me to take nice portrait (vertical) shots with the flash properly oriented over the lens. I have the Speedlite 420 EX, and love it! My confusion is this: My BG-E1 has a nice compliment of shutter controls for shooting vertically(portrait), but it requires me to rotate the camera counter-clockwise in order to have the controls on top right, which seems easiest to use. Yet, all the brackets I have found to date, require a flip in a clockwise direction in order to position the flash over the lens, which puts my battery pack controls uselessly in the bottom left position, and the actual camera controls in the bottom right position. It seems the battery pack controls and the flash brackets weren't designed with the other in mind. For now, I purchased the hot shoe cable, and plan on manually holding the flash above the camera, but this is not ideal for long term, and I'm shaky enough with two hands on the camera- much less one hand!If I'm indoors I love the fact that I can rotate the 420EX to bounce it off the ceiling with no bracket, but outdoors situations seem to require a straight on flash and hence a flash bracket.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"The camera stores in my area are helpful and seem competent, but don't seem to have an understanding of this area, other than to scratch their head along with me. I'm hoping that some of Steve's Forum's "Big Guns" can come through!!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"If anyone has some input for me it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you !!

tenfourk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:59 AM   #2

I think I'm missing something here.

Could you give me a link to the flash bracket that you use? I want to make sure I understand the situation.

If you give me the make and model I might be able to find it on B&H or adorama.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 11:44 AM   #3

If I understand you correctly, Custom Brackets (www.custombrackets.com) makes hi-quality brackets that do exactly what you wish. I believe the QR-35 series fit the 10D, so proably the Rebel as well, though I'm not sure. They make brackets that: either the camera rotates, keeping the controls at the top - or the flash flips, keeping it centered over the lens. Stroboframe makes cheaper, similar versions. Check at www.adorama.com or some of the other big suppliers.
flint350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:26 PM   #4

Thank you Flint 350 and EricS. I went to the link you supplied Flint and found an animation that illustrates what I'm looking for, and what I've found that's not what I'm looking for. If you follow the link:

http://www.custombrackets.com/info/i...p?documentid=7

This should bring you to the animation, or you may have to click on : see how it works.

you'll see the bracket on the left rotates the camera counter clockwise so that the controls on my battery pack will be on the top right in the usual shutter position, and the bracket handle is to be held with the left hand, as I'm looking for. The bracket on the right functions the same way, with a counter clockwise rotation, but you'll see the handle is on the right side-not the left. This is the kind of product I've been finding in stores. Now all I need to do is find one that is compatible with my Rebel. I had another in my hand once that worked with the Canon 10d, but didn't fit on my Rebel properly. Thanks for the help. Happily, it seems I was just ignorant--whew!!

I'll be sure to email this thread to my local camera store so they don't continue to think I'm crazy.
Old Jul 23, 2004, 7:33 PM   #5

I see what you mean now.

This is one of those questions that the internet is great for. Get lots of people to look at your question, and someone is bound to have an answer.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 10:06 PM   #6

Amen to that. I'vebeenaway from the bulletin board for a while, and forgot how much can be learned here.

Cheers!