Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 28, 2004, 1:03 PM   #41
NHL

You can almost guess where the number will fall from historical data: D30($2999), D60($2299), 10D($1599) when they were released. Whatever the Canon aficionados think the 10D replacement is already here: it's called D70! The 10D's body is actually more of a liability than an asset. What's good about a metal body without proper weather sealing except the extra weight and ding mark?

IMO the next 10D must have a "head-turning" factor otherwise it'll be just a me too product caught between the D70(and others) and the upcoming Minolta with internal IS. My bet is 8Mpixel is a must, but I doubt it will have the 1D mrk II AF module for cost reason. The eye controlled focus of the 7E can alleviate some of the focusing problem here, and space age polymer will also keep the lid on cost...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 6:19 PM   #42
Bui

For those of you have been waiting for the new 10D, what do you think about this news?

http://ibtaiwan.com/ipb/index.php?showtopic=3331

Bui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 9:42 PM   #43

You can be serious? iTunes capable? Please.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 10:31 PM   #44

NHL wrote:
Quote:
The 10D's body is actually more of a liability than an asset. What's good about a metal body without proper weather sealing except the extra weight and ding mark?
I disagree here, My tammy 28-75 would be quite unwieldly without the extra heft of the body + battery grip. I can only imagine what it would be like with a larger lens.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 10:36 AM   #45
NHL

hedwards wrote:
Quote:
NHL wrote:
Quote:
The 10D's body is actually more of a liability than an asset. What's good about a metal body without proper weather sealing except the extra weight and ding mark?
I disagree here, My tammy 28-75 would be quite unwieldly without the extra heft of the body + battery grip. I can only imagine what it would be like with a larger lens.
... Make it optional. Buy the battery grip if one likes to add heft but keep it light for everyone else, especially with the new camera now that we have two bodies to carry around!

BTW don't know how real the picture is, but it looks like the right side is slighly larger with no functional dial wheel on the top anymore (or eyelet for the camera strap). The lens stop-down lever is now repositioned to the left as well as the timer light moving down for the 8 Mpixels markings. Also there's no more button for the LCD light...

I like the 1.3x for my landscapes if it's true, but I can hear the birding folks crying foul already (that Bigma is now only 650mm)! :-)

Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:30 PM   #46

You are forgetting the new 10DX...it has 80 mp, a mobile phone linked to NASA, a built in kettle and BBQ and even a small umbrella to protect your shooting finger from the glare of the midday sun or a light shower......:crazy:

Really though, if this is true at that price, I am really stumped as to whether to go for this or still go for the (now ever more so expensive) 1d MKII....I figure the faster shutter speed etc etc etc may still be worth it...have to wait for the full review to decide I guess!!!
Attached Images

Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 3:40 PM   #47

Hey, I want one of those umbrellas!

(And good job on the "X", very good job matching that font.)

Eric
Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:19 PM   #48
NHL

:-):-):-):-):-)

It got to have @ least 8Mpixels otherwise the new Fuji S3 will eat eat alive with the 400% dynamic range extension (and all the film emulsions built in)!

... and then on the other end we'll have the upcoming Minolta D7 with internal IS.
Heck even a dinky P/S has 7Mpixels: http://www.imaging-resource.com/NEWS/1090382420.html

Old Aug 2, 2004, 4:27 PM   #49

It is nice to see this thread return to the status quo. <chuckles>
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2004, 11:09 PM   #50

I don't argue that it will have to have more MP.
I argue that its going to be interesting to see how Canon does it.

Do they risk continuing with the 1.6x sensor size, which could bring about more noise?
Do they go with the larger sensor size which increase manufacturing cost, which could bring about a higher price than they want... or even <gasp> an equivalent price to the 10D now!
Or will they thing that enhanced features will make up for the fact that they don't have 8MB (maybe only 7?)

Personally, I could really care less about 8MP if it meant more noise. I could even deal with 6MP if it had the right set of features (listed earlier in this thread.) But buying trends have shown that I am not in the majority in my views.

Eric

ps. I really fear that the S3 Pro will flop. I hope not, but I don't think enough people care about dynamic range as much as MP.