Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:43 AM   #51
NHL

eric s wrote:
Quote:
ps. I really fear that the S3 Pro will flop. I hope not, but I don't think enough people care about dynamic range as much as MP.
You would if you are shooting outdoor weddings in sunlight... I can surely tell what I'm missing with the 10D shooting at the beach especially on some seagulls!

Not everyone is off to the Formula 1 race to see who'll click the fastest you know: Some people actually live in the studio, where the Fuji's Sx (or Kodak's Pro) excellence in skin tone rendition are legendary. Canon may know about cameras, but Fuji knows about films... Tell it to the diehards who still shoot slides because they need the details in the highlight/shadow for their enlargements. :-):-):-)

BTW the Fuji has 2-sets of 6Mpixels with 14-bit A/D so it's really in a different league, except for price which may depend on its MSRP.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 12:49 PM   #52

Hey, I didn't say "no one cares about dynamic range". I said "not enough"! Of course I can come up with examples of who would want more dynamic range (another example ispeople who do a lot of B&W, where it's all about that.) I chose my words intentionally so they weren't absolutest.

I just fear that it won't do as well as higher MP cameras with more traditional designs (the 1Ds still sells very well and while it can be used outside of the studio it really was designed to be primarly be a studio camera.) And I kinda feel that is sad, because I want camera makers to care about more than just pushing MP.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 2:22 PM   #53
NHL

It's not just about megapixels (even though the competition demands it)!

Here's some foods for thought: http://www.kbcamera.com/filmvsdigital.htm
http://www.naturephotographers.net/dw0802-1.html

:-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 10:55 PM   #54

There are some claims floating that the next version will be called 20D, and come with a 8.3 MP sensor. E.g.

Quote:
Erik Annis , aug 02, 2004; 09:28 p.m. I saw the Canon EOS 20D today while assisting someone shooting a wedding. The photographer is sponsored by Canon (they use his shots for advertising). The camera looked just like the 10d except on the back panel where your right thumb sits is a cool joystick like toggle. The sensor is 8.3 MP, I don't know the crop. There was a 580ex Speedlight flash loaned to this gentleman as well which he said was more powerful than the 550ex. Also, he said they hit the market in two weeks. The consensus was that it wrote to the flash card as fast or faster than the Mark 2. RAW files popped up amazingly fast

Elsewhere in the thread, there's a claim that it will be a 1.6x crop sensor, and that Canon will entrench the EF-S format further with the introduction of new lenses.

http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=008xWV

In my view, I can handle 16 or 20 MP quite confortably, and wouldn't complain about the increase to 8.3. Faster reading / writing speed would also be a welcome and useful change. This would IMO be a cool marketing niche, just between the lower-end and the higher-end. Of course we want high-end for less; of course Canon wants us to pay a lot for the high end.

I also don't like the 1.6x sensor entrenchment and the yet-another-incompatible lens type at all, and wouldn't get into it with the possible very reluctant exception of a single good ultra-wide that's not too steep -- and this would directly trade-off against the costs for a larger sensor in my analysis.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:40 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
It's not just about megapixels (even though the competition demands it)!
I certainly hope you weren't directing that towards me. I've never claimed that... my assertion is that the majority of the public (which doesn't by DSLRs, but buy A1's and S500's or cheaper) believe that MP is the most important feature.

Personally, I won't buy a camera based pure on a dynamic range improvement... For what I do, AF speed is more important. But I'd trade more MP for better dynamic range, assuming my other needs were met.

Madwand
I can easily believe 1.6x and 8.3MP. I still wonder about the noise issue, but we'll see when it comes out (whatever the MP.) I would be shocked if it wrote as fast as the 1D-Mk2. At least for SD cards, that thing writes DAMN fast. A deep buffer is easy (ram is cheap) but fast writing is another matter.

"appear in two weeks" would shock me. Truly. Is it possible? I don't know. but I would be very surprised.

All I can say is, we live in interesting times.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2004, 11:59 PM   #56

Edit: let me bite my tongue and clarify:

10D replacement will be 8MP and 1.6x crop. Paul Pope has mentioned:

Upon further investigation It appears that
1) the 10D replacment (20D) will be 8mp
2) the 300D replacement will basicaly be similar to the current 10D
3) the 10D replacment is MUCH closer then we think to actual sales availability

http://forums.overclockers.com.au/sh...p;pagenumber=3

(need to register to view)

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2004, 12:51 AM   #57

A link that doesn't need registration (and says less from Paul Pope):

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9757612

The Luminous Landscape is already pushing a new DSLR vaguely. It also says that it is worth around $1500 USD.

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/new/index.shtml

Quote:
Our new contest, which begins today and runs through December 15th, is for a free next-generation digital camera from one of the world's leading manufacturers. At Photokina in September, 2004 many new digital cameras will be announced, but one will stand out from the crowd, and will be available prior to Christmas, 2004.
Eric, thanks for the note about the noise. Now, if Canon actually releases it very very soon, then it's a good move -- it becomes tempting to forget about the other releases coming at Photokina. Similarly, in the stampede, I might even forget to wait for the noise graphs.

But I think Reichmann knows what he's talking about, and if he thinks it's a standout, then I probably wouldn't regret joining such a stampede. Mind you, it's not even clear that the Luminous Landscape is referring to a Canon product. Although a Canon user himself, he's lately promoted a Minolta A2 (in addtion to older Contax, which is out of the question in terms of pricing).
Old Aug 4, 2004, 1:16 AM   #58

Release dates from Paul Pope:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9757649

10D replacement = shipping in September (8mp)
1Ds Mk II = shipping in New year
300D replacment = shipping in New Year

And still more from him about further improvements:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=9555927

In about 30 months ...

wrote:
>
> Paul Pope wrote:
> > Thats easy .....
> > The move to a full 3 or 4 colour non bayer process
> >
> >
> > RobE wrote:
> > >> My question to y'all is this: what will be the next major
> > > improvement in the next generation of cameras?