Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 24, 2004, 3:46 PM   #1

I know this subject has been broached before, but I just read the "Gossip" section of a reputable, British Photography mag, and they say an upgrade is due later this year. I am only asking because I am on the verge of getting the EOS1D MkII as my main camera, and keeping the 10d as backup. Does anyone know any rumours on this. I feel/hope an upgrade to the 10d might be a 9 or 10 MP with 5-8FPS and increased sensor size. With the digic II processor and maybe a larger buffer.....hurry up Canon, I am needing to make a decision!! :?
Freefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 24, 2004, 5:26 PM   #2

No one knows nothing. It only makes logical sense that it would be replaced in no too long... it has been out for a while. The best guesses are people who work in stores who order. I've heard one say that can't get any more 10Ds, but why? Maybe because they have to shift sensor production to the DRebel? Or maybe because they are emptying the supply chain (if it gets replaced, Canon probably has to buy back the unsold 10Ds.)

The question/wonder I have is if they'll replace the 1Ds first? That is even older.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:23 PM   #3
NHL

IMO it's not how old a camera is, but what the competition is doing...
1. The D70 sits smack in the middle of the 10D DRebel
2. Most manufacturers already match the 10D pricing
3. The Minolta D7 with internal IS is due anytime

Canon is no dummy... I doubt they are sitting still. My bet is whatever the new model is, it'll be much improved at a lower cost. Also one can't have prosumers camera having higher resolution
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 9:04 PM   #4

Canon decrease the price of the 10D by $300 cdn, does it mean that they wont make it again and replace it by the 10D markII ?????

MAYBE???????
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 10:54 PM   #5

NHL wrote:
Quote:
IMO it's not how old a camera is, but what the competition is doing...
1. The D70 sits smack in the middle of the 10D DRebel
2. Most manufacturers already match the 10D pricing
3. The Minolta D7 with internal IS is due anytime

Canon is no dummy... I doubt they are sitting still. My bet is whatever the new model is, it'll be much improved at a lower cost. Also one can't have prosumers camera having higher resolution
For the new 10D, just think about what you think is reasonable in a $1500 camera, given the current higher end products. The new 10D is not going to make the 1D-MK II obsolete!

Frankly, I would buy what you need / want today. If you start waiting for 'the next model' you'll keep waiting.

Barthold

barthold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 1:25 AM   #6

Quote:
For the new 10D, just think about what you think is reasonable in a $1500 camera, given the current higher end products. The new 10D is not going to make the 1D-MK II obsolete! Frankly, I would buy what you need / want today. If you start waiting for 'the next model' you'll keep waiting. Barthold

I understand that, and agree with you...however, the 1d mkII stands at around €4,500, whereas, with all technology, the price for an EOS10d mkII should be a lot cheaper whilst (hopefully) coming close to the spec of the 1DmkII. Therefore, I think in this case it would be wise to wait. I have already had A1 (1 metre) prints done from the 10D with great results, so once I have an 8 (or more) MP SLR to compliment it, the kit will last me for years! Once these 2 SLR´s have paid their way, I will consider a Mamiya 6x4.5 with digital back. I have never been accused of waiting for technology, I love it and am a little impulsive to say the least! With regard toCanon replacing the 1D first, it may be that the 10D was so popular and successful that they want to continue the buying momentum or "Frenzy". For me, this camera is pretty close to everything I need. I would just like a faster buffer, more FPS, less shutter lag etc. etc. etc......:?

BTW I also heard a rumour that those cheeky bods at Nikon, are working on a 23MP!!!!! SLR!
Old Jul 25, 2004, 2:34 AM   #7

It is currently in production, due for Sept/Oct release.

This was from Paul Pope (aka taksan from OCAU forums where I frequent) - you may or may not choose to believe him, but I do recall he had 1Dmk2 pics posted in his gallery before its 'official' release, he just couldn't divulge on that occasion and on this one, due to NDA.

Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 2:42 AM   #8

Nice one. I choose to believe! Will wait, hopefully will be worth it.

Thanks for your replies!
Old Jul 25, 2004, 2:46 AM   #9

Onyx wrote:
Quote:
It is currently in production, due for Sept/Oct release.
I wouldn't have thought until next march. I guess i will need to be more comforting to my 10d. I would hate to think of what might happen if there were the potential for another dslr.:lol:

<sarcasm>Personally, i am kind of waiting for the 1 gp digitals. The ones which will be full frame for large format, require terrabyte memory cards and cooling units the size of a vw bug. They will probably get .05 fps with 200x memory cards. with a little bit of luck they will be released in 2045 and cost only 600,000 dollars.</sarcasm>

Clearly i enjoy these rumour threads way too much, or maybe it is too late without caffeine.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 25, 2004, 2:54 AM   #10

Naaa, you are just American....say no more!

Only joking............................