Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 27, 2004, 3:18 PM   #1

Hi,

I'm looking for first hand feedback on the numerous firmware hacks for the digital rebel, especially regarding flash exposure compensation, mirror lock up and second curtain sync (not sure if this is addressed by any of the hacks, but am hoping so!) Have any of you tried any of the hacks? If so, did you have any problems? Did the 'new' features work? Are the 'new' features easy to access and use?

Many thanks

P.S. Always find your answers to posts, whatever the subeject, useful and interesting - have learnt a lot from you all. Maybe I'll learn enough to be able to post answers as well as questions one day!
andrewmummery is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 27, 2004, 9:18 PM   #2

No second curtain sync (yet), but if you own a 550EX flash unit you can enable that option from the flash. Not possible with the 420EX or built-in flash.

You can set the Rebel to not shoot if there's no flash card in the camera- a nice safety. Out of the box with the regular firmware you can shoot the camera if there's no flash card loaded and you cannot cancel out of that.

In Aperture Priority with the regular firmware the camera only selects the correct speed for the current ambient light, meaning indoors the shutter speed selected in most cases does not allow for handheld shots. With the hack you can set the camera to a default 1/200 sec shutter speed in aperture priority. I like aperture priority mode & use this option on and off as needed.

If you like to shoot RAW, you can adjust what size embedded JPEG is recorded. Out of the box the Rebel is set to make a medium sized JPEG with no ability to adjust that file size. Once the hack is installed you can set the JPEG larger OR, if you want to be able to record more images you can set the JPEG size to small and give yourself a few more RAW shots.

Of course, flash exposure compensation and mirror lockup are enabled with the hack.

That's about it. Nice options to have. At some point or another I've utilized all these new options. Nice to have that ability.

The options are super easy to access. Just go to menu and tab over to where the firmware status is located. Like magic a "custom function" option appears after ther hack is installed. Just go down to it and scroll through the options. They are all there, even the ones that don't currently work.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 6:51 AM   #3

Many thanks for the reply - am very tempted to load the hacked firmware and give it a go.

I don't have the 550EX, I use the Sigma EF-500 DG Super - will scour the manual to see that allows second curtain to be set from the flash.

Thanks again.

Andy
andrewmummery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 7:57 AM   #4

Your welcome. I just realized I totally forgot to mention ISO 3200, which the hack also gives you. It's pretty grainy, but gives a look I sometimes like & it's a nice feature to have.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2004, 10:39 AM   #5

I have followed the discussions on the firmware hack on the DR forum on DPreview.com. I have not found a need for the additional features so I have not used the hack. Be sure to download the latest Canon Firmware upgrade (1.1) so that you can reinstall if you are unhappy with the firmware hack.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote