Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 29, 2004, 8:07 AM   #1

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Tele AF28-300mm F/3.5-6.3

Throughout the different posts - there have been references both positive and negative. I am strongly thinking about purchasing this lens.A $20 rebate goes off 7/31 but a $40 remains in effect for a while.

Looking at various sites, reviews, etc - Igetvery mixed results regarding this zoom. I wonder if part of the problem is a bias toward Canon glass. I don't expectthe Tamron to be as good as a Canon zoom but my questions are:

1. Personal experiences -- do you have any experience with this lens anddo yourecommend it.?

2. Are you a pro? Does the need for absolute quality affect your view?

3. In your opinion, for the home photo nut - are the deficiencies such that I'd be better off saving for a Canon?

4. I haven't investigated Sigma -- how do they compare?

Thanks for the help.
RonE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 29, 2004, 2:02 PM   #2

1. Personal experiences -- do you have any experience with this lens anddo yourecommend it.?
I have this lens and I do recommend it. I had no problems with it.

2. Are you a pro? Does the need for absolute quality affect your view?
No I am not a pro.

3. In your opinion, for the home photo nut - are the deficiencies such that I'd be better off saving for a Canon?
I have taken several pictures with this lens and have not see any quality issues with it. I have had this lens for a month now.

4. I haven't investigated Sigma -- how do they compare?
I have never used a Sigma lens.
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 12:50 PM   #3

I have this lense, it's a good lense overall. It's focusing is slightly slower than the sigma lenses but the results are good.

When using long focal lengths I find that resting the tip of the lense on something is better than using the tripod, I think this is because even on a tripod you get some lense movement. Supporting the tip of the lense has given me some very good results without having to clip it on the tripod.

I would say it's good value for the money but if you can afford it then go for the Canon with IS and USM.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2004, 12:02 PM   #4

Go for it !!
twigs is offline   Reply With Quote