Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Jul 30, 2004, 2:02 PM   #1

It turns out that a lot of the cannon software that came with the 10D (a year ago) have newer versions now. So I downloaded them hoping they'd be faster, if nothing else.

Well, it turns out that something else seems to have changed. Before, when I used zoombrowser to copy files off my CF card, it would rename the files. On the CF card they are named something like:
CRW_4860.CRW
CRW_4860.THM

I assume they have always been named like that. But when I downloaded them, the files were being renamed to something like:
248_4860.CRW
248_4860.THM

What is annoying is that how when I download (with the newer zoombrowser & camerawindow (zoombrowser doesn't actually do the download) it isn't rename the file any more. I get:
CRW_4860.CRW
CRW_4860.THM

on my hard disk. When I look at the download window I have it create a new folder named after the shooting date. And "designate prefix of image to be saved" is not set. I don't believe it was before. But as before it copied the files over and added the rest of the file id number to the file name, it isn't do that any more.

Has anyone seen this with the newest version of zoombrowser & Co?

I now I could switch to breese software's download utility. People speak highly of it. But the one that came with the 10D has always been good enough. I haven't needed more. But now its changed (I feel broken, but that could just be me) and I don't want to believe they took away functionality in this upgrade.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 30, 2004, 5:52 PM   #2

Never liked zoombrowser. I switched to the new EOS Utility Viewer. It is a lot faster and not as annoying!
shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2004, 10:26 PM   #3

Do you mean the software that came with the 1D-MkII, which also supports the 1D and 1Ds?

Or do you mean the EOS Viewer Utility (slightly different name than what you gave)? How do you get that to copy things off the CF card? It looks like a viewer and RAW conversion tool from what I see.

Eric
Old Jul 31, 2004, 9:31 AM   #4

Eric, you are correct about the name. It is a viewer and raw converter also. To save your images to a folder go to - File, convert and save. select the folder to save to, hit OK and your files are transferred. You can save in Tiff, Jpeg or choose not to convert so you can save your original images in raw format. Download it from Canon. I like it better as it seems to be faster than zoombrowser. Let me know what you think!
shake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2004, 4:07 PM   #5

Ah, what a weird interface. So I can go into the raw converter but then tell it not to convert it and that will do a copy? Truly weird.

Eric
Old Aug 11, 2004, 8:24 PM   #6

Ey shake -

I've downloaded the EOS Viewer Utility last week. One thing I've noticed that it has now 3 choices of converting the image to 8/bit, 16/bit & 16/bit Linear. I know PhotoShop (all versions) supports the basic 8/bit alpha channels (RGB). I went to the help menu (I think) that the 16/bit-Linear on EOS Viewer Utility conversion mostly used with Video image or something. So I sample a file to convert a RAW image to a 16/bit-Linear TIFF, it became too dark.

So when will be the 16/bit or 16/bit-Linear on EVU will be used?

cheers!

dive
dive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2004, 11:48 PM   #7

I can't talk about the newer versions, but ZoomBrowser has a reputation as "DoomBrowser". Lots of folks have had their hearts broken by ZoomBrowser, mine included. BreezeBrowser has been very stable for me. I got sick of databases crashing and problems trying to put my photo collection back together.

I kinda feel like the guy who bought a Hyudai when they first came out and is gunshy now. Both products are probably a lot better now, but somebody is going to have to prove it to me.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 11:01 PM   #8

The newer versions of the downloading software do, as you noticed, appear to use a different filename convention when downloading the images. I too preferred the previous convention where the folder number was part of the filename. So I have returned to using the earlier version of the software.
opakapaka2002 is offline   Reply With Quote