Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 3, 2004, 4:57 PM   #1

Hi There,

I have been out there for a while and watching your fight over the 10d and digital rebel. As my boss happend to own a 10d and I was also influenced by the opinions here I also admitt that if you can afford buy the 10d. HOWEVER, I'm in a funny situation at the moment. I planned to buy a 10d or whatever will be a 10d equivalent next spring. tha would be the first SLR in my possession. Unfortunately I would have couple of grants to spend on hobby only by that time. BUT I will run the NYC marathon in Novemebr and going for a wonderful trip afterwards, and thougth that if I prepared 1 year for it it is not possible that I will take a compact camera to the trip, so I started to consider to rather make the purchase earlier with a a minimal budget. Why? I considered all the differences. If you shoot in Raw that's better, but what's wrong with finest JPG, if you show the pics to anyone they would view in jpg anyway. ok there is a 4 shoot buffer ins. of 9. difference is big but do I really need 9? I think I can live with 4 etc etc. However 1 thing still doesn't let me sleep well...Spot focus metering. In 10d you can select any area to be focused of the 7 in any modes. What about the 300d? I know it doesn't, but is there any mode in which you can spearately define a specific point for focusing? that's the point which is still not so clear to me about the 300d. which is the mode where you cannot? I still don get this... Please help me, as that would be a Yes or No for my purchase. I saw pictures many time when compostion was ok, ligthing was fine but the pics was not sharp because the camera put different point into focus than my intention.
Beside this do u know whether it can be bought in black color? Is it in same price?
Guys, Thank you very much...

Caddy
thanks for
caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 3, 2004, 8:20 PM   #2
NHL

caddy wrote:
Quote:
... However 1 thing still doesn't let me sleep well...Spot focus metering. In 10d you can select any area to be focused of the 7 in any modes. What about the 300d? I know it doesn't, but is there any mode in which you can spearately define a specific point for focusing? that's the point which is still not so clear to me about the 300d.
You can select any of the 7 AF points in P, Tv, Av and M on the 300D (identical to the 10D)... When that particular AF point is selected, the metering is also "evaluated" toward it!
The AF points are limited to automatic in the Basic (with the icons) zone only, and not user selectable there.

The confusion lies in the metering selection (different from the AF points) which is tied to the creative zone and not independently selectable; However you can still overide this somewhat with the * or AE lock which forces the camera to partial(~spot) metering. In another word there's some limitation but the DRebel is still quite flexible...

As to the black color, it is not offered in the States
NHL is online now   Reply With Quote