Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:27 PM   #1

In reading on so many cameras I think I have decided to purchase the Canon EOS Digital Rebel. For my budget of under $1000 it appears to be the best option. I welcome any comments against choosing this camera with an alternative camera and reasons why.

My question is: I went to the dealtime website off of this website and was price shopping, upon reading reviews of the top vendors of choice I am getting real skeptical of purchasing from any online vendor.Even though some have several positive commentsthere are still so many negative ones. It almost appears likesome of the shops are in going in and boasting their own shops and the real customers are providing the negative comments. Anyway it looks like I could get the Canon package with lens for about $800. However in checking with any credible vendor such as Best Buy, Cirucuit City, etc. they are all firm at $1000. Does anyone have a good reference, froma past purchase experience,from a credible vendor who might also be giving a great price? Any reference or advice is great appreciated.
jadex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 16, 2004, 1:40 PM   #2

I would recommend newegg and below is the link to their website. Free shipping

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...018&depa=0

b&h Photo

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...501&is=REG

J&R music

http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=3722663

I have had several experiences with each vendor and continue to purchase from all of them.

Phil

gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:49 PM   #3

Just buy from reputable online vendors. Like the other poster said, use B&H, Adorama etc. I have used onecall.com for 10D purchase and happy with the service.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:39 PM   #4

I too was taken back by the BuyDig price.I checked them on several reseller sites and they seemed tobe ratedwell.I am usually a pretty conservative guy but I keep thinking about that future 17-40L lens I plan to buy afterIlearn what I am doing with the kit lens. I decided to go ahead and I ordered the Drebel kit for $ 799 and added 2 day FedEx Air for a total of $ 818.95. I will let you all know how things work out. I will have sweaty palms until about Friday.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 7:16 AM   #5

I agree with everyone else and recommend B&H Photo. I have purchased almost every camera and lens I have owned from them and have been very happy with the service. I bought a Rebel in January and have been happy with it. I bought it with the kit lens and added the Canon 50mm and a Sigma 70-300 zoom.

If you would like to see some photos taken with the Rebel go to:

http://www.geocities.com/k1par/2004ll.html
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:47 AM   #6

I got mine from Costco.com. It was the kit for $950, but came with a second battery. I decided to pay the extra cash and buy it from Costco because they have the best return policy. I know that if I have any problems, even down the road, they will give me a full refund and I can get a new unit. It is worth the extra cash to have good customer service if you ask me.

I wish you good luck with the company you went through. You really have to go through those ratings to see if there were any others having problems with a particular site.

Roy
royy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 10:59 AM   #7

Hey everyone thanks for all of the good references and information. Even though there are several references at the dealtime website, they don't hold any weight to Steve's website. Here I feel like you can trust what you read and it's not just vendors trying to pump their own store.ADSchiller, I hope your choice to go with BuyDig goes good, I will look for your follow up post on their business. Thanks once againto everyone that posted a response.
jadex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:21 PM   #8

So far so good! The Fed Ex tracker shows the packagein Elizabeth, NJ withdelivery projected forPM tomorrow here in the Chicago area.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 9:33 AM   #9

The Drebel arrived at 4:30 on the 18th. I got home late and didn't have much time to play with it after the battery charge.I did take about 20-30 misc. flash shots; portraits of my wife, macro close ups of my wrist watch,figurines etc, a few shots of the dog(nasty red eye)and a couple of interiors at the 17mm wide extreme. So far, everything is fine. The Buydig price was $ 818.95 with the 2 day FedEx - still well below other current quotes. As an aside, the kit lens cost net $ 50.00 over the cost of the body. I think I paidabout that afew years ago for a used Nikkor 35mm f2.5 for my old Nikon FM when my daughter took high school photography and wanted a wide angle lens to go with the normal. The kit lens may not be the greatest Canon optic but as a walking around lens or a back up for future costlier glass, it's a great deal. I have an expensivepaperweight I got at Mesa Verde on my desk. If the lens really stinks outdoors, I'll have two interesting paperweights. Meantime, buy the kit. It's too good to pass up.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:51 AM   #10

If you take the time (I mean REALLY) you will find it is a very capable camera. It has some drawbacks as do ALL cameras - but it is a lot of fun.

Now you have to inquire about CF cards, additional lenses, what modes work best, focus points, and tons of other fun stuff.

Welcome to the club !!
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote