Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 24, 2004, 1:33 PM   #11

I too chose a D70 for the3 reasons mentioned above, and also the option to use different metering/focusing modes with aperture/shutter priority. (I believe they both work well with faster CF cards, just the buffer is more efficient in D70)

Having had the D70 since april, I still stick by my choice, though if I was looking again, Canon's seem to show comparitavley less noise than Nikons on equivalent ISO speeds... anyone else gotany thoughts on that ? Cmos vs CCD maybe ?

Between the 2 I'd still choose the D70, though if youy can stretch to the new 20D that looks fabulous. (5 fps over 3 fps appeals for sports/action stuff without price tag of 1dMk2)

jimbojetset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 3:23 PM   #12
NHL

Remember the 3 reasons above are canceled out with the now 'reduced' price of the 10D:
1. Larger buffer
2. No EF-s lens support (forget about the kit lens)
3. Black metal body... and of course all the metering and AF options
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:39 AM   #13

Wait another month, and see what gets announced/released in Photokina at the end of September. Could be interesting. There's another good reason for doing so: It may be easy to decide on one or the other camera now, but then you'll start buying lenses and accessories, and probably feel stuck with that choice for good (unless you decide to sell everything & buy it all over again.) So it's worth taking some time on this decision, and learning more about what else is around, and coming up.

The Fuji S3, for example, might be a great camera. It takes Nikon lenses. Kodak cameras also took Nikon lenses before they took Canon lenses.

That said, Canon is hot right now -- they have the cheapest and the most expensive DSLR's, and their models are holding ground. But if they didn't have Nikon, Fuji, Kodak, and others to compete with, they'd probably make much worse cameras.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 4:43 AM   #14

Bah, forgot to mention that there's a good chance that flash performance and focusing performance on the Nikon are better than on the DRebel. Both of which should be addressed in the upcoming 20D.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote