Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 23, 2004, 6:49 AM   #1

Hi,

I need some help!! Nikon D70 or Canon EOS 300
I plan to buy one of this two digital cameras.
But i dont now witch one ? Can someone help me ?

Zoltan
zoli223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:23 AM   #2

The D70 is a more feature rich camera as far as user modes go. The D300 does not allow you to select focus modes, nor does it allow you to select metering modes.

With that said, the D300 is cheaper with the kit lens then the D70. The Kit lens isn't all that fantastic..but for the extra $100, you can't beat it for giving you wide angle capabilities. The D70's kit lens is better, but you do pay for it.

Photo quality goes to the D300. Canon's CMOS sensor is slightly larger then Nikon's CCD sensor. Also, it doesn't suffer from moire pattern problem as the D70 seems to.

The D70 only edges out the D300 on build quality. They are both made out of polycarbonate, and are both sturdily built. The more expensive cameras are built out of metals...however, polycarbonate is more forgiving then metal if you do drop it. With that said...you drop any camera..and its curtains for it usually (sorry for the bad pun).

The D300 seems to have more accessories for it then the D70. For instance, you can buy a battery grip for the D300. No such thing exist for the D70 (that I am aware of). So the win goes to Canon on this one.

When you buy a DSLR, you need to consider the system. Lenses make up a big part of the system. Canon and Nikon both make wonderful glass. However, Canon specializes in large focal lenses (watch any sport on tv..and if they show the photographers...chances are, you will see lots of big white Canonlenses). Canon's L series of pro lenses are phenomenal and pricey. I think Canon makes the most lenses out there right now. This does not mean that Nikon is any less of a lens maker. They are not. However, it is important to note that they tend to specialize in macro photography more so then Canon. So depending upon what you ultimately want...both systems will do it for you, just one is better in one category then the other, and vice versa.

For flash photography, Nikon has the easier and more robust system. Canon's isn't as easy to use, nor is their E-TTL system easy to figure out. With that said, I haven't had a single problem with it, but many out there seem to. Maybe they are doing something wrong...who knows (shrugs).

Both cameras are wonderful tools, and I am sure that whichever you choose, you will enjoy. Not the answer you were wishing huh? Ultimately....YOU will have to chose which one is good for you. All I can say, is read lots of reviews and make an informed decision.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 7:51 AM   #3

Chako thanks for help

So i have time to take the decision i want to read some user ratings. Canon and nikon lenses are not interchangeble?
I cant use a Canon EOS and a nikon lens ?
I now it is stupid question but im new on DSLR.

Nikon or Canon lens cheaper ?

Zoltan
zoli223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 8:29 AM   #4

Nikon and Canon lenses are NOT interchangeable. Once you commit to one manufacturer, you're stuck, at least for now. Lenses are the expensive part, in the long run. With the introduction of the new Canon EOS 20D, the price of the EOS 10D should fall. This is a much nicer camera than the Rebel and should be available if you look around.
Wildman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 9:10 AM   #5
NHL

I could be wrong but the Nikon CCD is "slightly" larger than the Canon's, ie smaller "crop factor" 1.5x vs 1.6x

... and I agree the 10D seems like a bargain at this price point.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 10:12 AM   #6
Administrator

Also keep in mind that you're not stuck with the lenses from the camera manufacturers with these models. For example: Sigma, Tokina, Tamron and Vivitar offer lenses in either Canon or Nikon mounts. The used market is also full of lenses for these models.

But, you need to make sure you are picking the right lens for the job (focal length, aperture values, optical quality, focusing speed, etc.). You can find good lenses, and not so good lenses from any of the manufacturers.

Also, keep the "crop factor" in mind when selecting lens. With a camera like the Nikon D70, you must multiply the focal length of the lens by 1.5x to see the 35mm Equivalent Focal Length on the D70. With the Digital Rebel, you must multiply by 1.6x.

To get a better feel for what's available, along with a better understanding of the designations used by manufacturers, look through their sites. Here are a few:

http://consumer.usa.canon.com/... ...t=ProductCatIndexAct&fcategoryid=111

http://www.nikonusa.com/template.php?cat=1&grp=5

http://www.tamron.co.jp/en/data/lenses/index.html

http://www.thkphoto.com/products/tokina/index.html

http://www.vivitar.com/Products/Lenses/lenspg1.html

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/html/lenses.htm

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:16 PM   #7

I second (or third) the 10D option. Last night I saw an auction for a virtually new 10D end at $940. I would look for something like that or even less for a second-hand 10D at this point rather than a new Digital Rebel. There's enough people out there who always want the hot item of the day NOW, and the 20D has those particular10D owners chomping at the bit. Check online classifieds out and eBay. The next several weeks or months should be a buyers market for nice low mileage 10D's.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 6:52 PM   #8

Oops..your right NHL...the D70s sensor is slightly larger...what I meant to say, is the resolution is slightly greater with the Canon.

EDIT: Both Nikon and Canon make various grades of lenses. I willstick with Canon as I know them better.

Canondivide their lenses into two main categories:

1. Consumer grade

2. Pro grade

Consumer grade lenses arefar cheaper then pro grade lenses. You get what you pay for. Generally, the optics aren't asgood as the pro grade lenses. Also, these lenses tend to be slower in speed. They are however, awesome for family photos and for most amateur work or everyday snapshots, etc. Canon tends to place a silver ring around the barrel for consumer grade lenses. There are also some levels within the consumer grade category..mostly depending upon the focusing motor, and other options. Also, you will be amazed at some of the lenses in this category....such as the 50mm f1.8. It is the cheapest, lightest, and one of thesharpest lenses out there. Cheaper then Nikons 50mm lense..I know...Idid a local price check out of curiosity.

Pro grade lenses are designated L for luxury. These are uber expensive, and the quality is non compromising. Generally, these areheavier,bigger, and faster lenses that exhibit exceptional sharpness. They generally have a red ring around the barrel..some of the larger zooms are white in colour...many lenses are black as well. Did I say they are expensive? In Canada, the cheapest L lensesstart at $1000. For the everyday user, hard to justify.

As mentioned above...you don't have to stick with Nikon or Canon lenses. I can say however, that several people have had problems with older Sigma lenses with newer Canon cameras. I cannot comment on any compatibility problems (if there is any) with Nikon Cameras. Just something to be aware of if your going Ebay shopping.

Be sure to read these forums...there is a lot of info to be found in here that should help you considerably.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:18 PM   #9
NHL

It's not just Nikon and Canon, but everyone does it. Minolta call their's pro line "G" series: http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...ns/lineup.html
... also white with a gold ring intead! :-)

Sigma call their professional line "EX" for excellence with full metal, and heavier/faster optic as well. Most of theses EX lenses, like the Canon's, comes with ultrasonic (ie HSM) which is both quiet and faster than their regular line. The HSM also allows full-time manual overide of the AF.
Only some older Sigma lenses made before 2000 have had compatibility problem (and upgraded for free for a while BTW). Their EX series are all kosher every single one of them... from day 1!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:30 PM   #10

I have a friend who chose the D70 over the 300D because of these factors:

#1. It holds More images in the Buffer (12 I think)

#2. The Kit Lens is better build (ED Glass) & a longer reach - you should be able to use it on other Nikon camera bodies. Not so with the Canon Kit lens.

#3. It is Black & Not Silver (looks more professional)

#4. Works with Ultra CF Cards (not sure if the 300D does or not - someone help me out on this one)

Small detail. The Canon 300D goes as low as ISO 100! The Nikon goes no lower than ISO 200 - if that matters to anyone. I myself prefer Canon. You make your own decisions.

I don't ever see anyone using Vivitar lenses any more. My girlfriend bought the 28-105 Series 1 several years ago to use with her Canon AE-1 Program & it is Bad to vignette at 28mm! Not a good choice!

Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote