Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:55 PM   #1

Just ordered a 20D

Just ordered a 20D

I am debating on keeping the 10D or trading it and a Sigma 28-70 2.8 EX for a 24-70 2.8L.

I know once I have the 20D I will probably not use the 10D (Great camera no grips). I just shoot a lot of Indoor sports with 2.8 and think the lower noise and focus designed for fast lens and 5 FPS will be a real advantage.

The local dealer I am ordering the 20D charges $1,300 for the 24-70 2.8L. I know I can get a better price on line but I want to do business with the local shop.

What do you think I should ask for trade-in 10D with Sigma 28-70 2.8 EX. Camera and lens they are one year old in excellent condition original boxes documentations?

What do you think I could sell for on my own?

I am debating on keeping the 10D or trading it and a Sigma 28-70 2.8 EX for a 24-70 2.8L.

I know once I have the 20D I will probably not use the 10D (Great
RobertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 26, 2004, 5:56 PM   #2

Just ordered a 20D

I know once I have the 20D I will probably not use the 10D (Great camera no grips). I just shoot a lot of Indoor sports with 2.8 and think the lower noise and focus designed for fast lens and 5 FPS will be a real advantage.

The local dealer I am ordering the 20D charges $1,300 for the 24-70 2.8L. I know I can get a better price on line but I want to do business with the local shop.

What do you think I should ask for trade-in 10D with Sigma 28-70 2.8 EX. Camera and lens they are one year old in excellent condition original boxes documentations?

What do you think I could sell for on my own?

RobertL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2004, 12:16 AM   #3

You will do better selling it yourself.

The dealer is basically going to buy it as a wholeseller. Think about it. There are thousands of people, just like you doing this now. There are already 10D's everywhere for sale. It's a buyers market, and many people who are listing theirs thinking they'll get $1,150 for their almost mint 10D are going to be disappointed. You can buy a new one with a guarantee for almost that price now. Unless he already has a buyer for your 10D it may sit in his shop for a while. That will be a part of what determines what he's willing to pay you. If he can sell it quickly he'll pay more. If not, his offer goes down.

Whether you trade it in or sell it yourself, go into this knowing your 10D is worth quite a bit less today than it was a couple of months ago. Check eBay. Look at the ads that are closing and see what 10D's are going for- that will come close to telling you what you'll get. I saw one end last week for $940- virtually mint in the box with everything. You can probably figure if you trade it in on getting about half that IF you are lucky- take it from someone who did that alot back in the days before eBay and the wonderful internet. It's the price you pay when you have to be one of the first ones in on the newest of anything.

And just in case you are wondering if I am saying this as a possible buyer trying to affect your thinking, I have already bought my 10D- a new one about 3 weeks ago for $1,299 from B&H, and the new ones still out there are even less now. Unlike back when I bought most of my film equipment used, I don't think I'd ever buy a used digital SLR camera. With all the technology built into these things and those super-sensitive sensors that can be easily damaged by prior users who try to clean them I want the comfort of the one-year warranty. Unless you are a pro and REALLY need all the advantages of the new 20D, and I can see why someone making a living with these would, the 10D is still awfully good for us folks who do this just because we love it. It's virtually to the point where you can skip a generation in these digital SLR's so when you do upgrade you do in a big way.

The story with your Sigma lens is even worse. You're about to find out one of the reasons why I never buy third-party lenses. Once bought they go down in value VERY quickly. Third-party lenses, even the expensive ones, are only worth buying if you plan on keeping them.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote