Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 28, 2004, 8:48 PM   #11

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Actually the ISO3200 pictures of 20D do look a lot better than 10D pictures. In the example shots, I see less noise at ISO3200 than I see at ISO800 on my 10D.
Bobby, that evaluation makes me feel even better about my decision to purchase the 20D. All I can say is that I can't wait...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:10 AM   #12

geoffs,

Don't a statement by one person about noise seen in online photos lure you into actually thinking that is true. If you read that luminous landscape review you mentioned, and I trust Michael Reichmann more than any other one person, he said Canon was more than a little over-enthusiastic in saying the 20D was two ISO settings less noisy than the 10D. You will be very happy with the 20D- it will take great pictures. Just don't set yourself up to be disappointed if your camera at ISO 3200 isn't as clean as you thought it would be. There are other things more impotant to think about than noise at ISO 3200, like exposure technique. Even the 20D still has a very narrow latitude when it comes to exposure. No one has figured out how to fix that, yet.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 12:21 AM   #13

Thanks for the insight, Greg. In truth, I'll be happy to be able to get good ISO800 shots from the 20D. Given that in my previous G2 and C8080 cameras I could rarely ever go above ISO200, ISO800 almost sounds too good to be true. If, on occasion, I can push to ISO1600 then that is just icing on the cake.

Don't worry, I'm not in lala land...:roll:
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 7:52 AM   #14
NHL

Greg Chappell wrote:
Quote:
Even the 20D still has a very narrow latitude when it comes to exposure. No one has figured out how to fix that, yet.
Greg is correct in the exposure problems with the pictures posted; However, as to all generality there's always an exception: I believe the new S3 pro has fixed (or try to) this dynamic range problem, but I guess we'll all have to wait for the actual camera!
Improved Dynamic Range: A wider dynamic range opens up a whole new world in terms of picture quality, and the unique double photodiode design (6.17 million S-pixels and 6.17 million R-pixels) of the Super CCD SR II sensor will produce dynamic range approximately 400% greater than that of CCD working on a single-pixel design, capturing the finest detail in even the highest contrast scenes.

A wedding's photographer dream: http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/fu..._s3pro_pr.html

:idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 9:51 PM   #15

That Fuji camera looks to be special. I'm not sure why anyone with a set of Nikkors would look to those Sigma/Kodak knock-offs with something like that being available. If it delivers as advertised it's one more market preasure for Canon and Nikon to deal with, which is great for everyone, except for maybe Kodak- a company I shed no tears for today.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:12 PM   #16

What did Kodak do?
Bladestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2004, 11:26 PM   #17

Do you mean what have they done? The answer is they've done very little right since about 1970. Untold amounts of capital on failed formats like 126, 110, APS and (gad) disc film and waiting almost too late to start to make the switch from film as their main product due to an archaic view of the industry. The last five years I shot film you would not find a roll of Kodak film in my possession. If the Kodak name went away tomorrow I would be hard-pressed to think about it twice.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 1:10 AM   #18

Greg i am definately with you on that. I won't use kodak film or processing. The prints turn out perfect just for when the surface was in town. I don't know of any respectable camera stores that still use their paper for printing. For my money agfa and fuji make better prints.
hedwards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2004, 5:58 PM   #19

I just readeveryone's thoughts (at least those who posted)on Steve's Samplesfrom aPRE-PRODUCTION 20D. From what I have seen they look great. And I am very impressed with theamount of noise at high ISO's and did you all see the 30 sec. exposure at F16, WOW!! Remember this is a pre-production camera and I am sureit doesn't have the finalfirmware.Why not wait until a production model comes out andsome samples are posted, before you jump to a conclusion on its image quality.
billy is offline   Reply With Quote