Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 27, 2004, 9:25 PM   #1

I've been Awaiting the arrival of an upcoming DRebel Replacement, but now leaning towards the Newly Announced 20D! Hey, if Specs could Sell (sure this happens often) I'd imagine many folks would have their $$$ down for the 20D already! But, I'm kind of a Hands On person who needs to See the Final Results Myself, as in Photo Pictures!!

My Delima concerns some of the Bright Lit Sunlight Captures that Steve is Diplaying, in Particular the Restaurant, the Park and the Apartment Building! Am IIMAGININGBlown Highlights in the Bright Contrast Areas, Overexposures of the Images, Shadow Out-of-Focus Areas and a General Washing of the Color Saturations, or do I Need New Glasses!? If You See These Problems to,are theyattributable to the 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM lens?I can Live with that! If it is a Lack of Optimum Camera Settings, I can Accept that Also!! But if it is the Best the 20D can do, I'll Stick with the DRebel Purchase!!

Common Sense tells me that the 20D Should Blow Away, in All Photographic Details, the Equivilent Rebel Captures of the same subjects, but I just Don't See That!!!!!!! I'm Sure there is Somehing I'm missing here, probably due to my Inexperience and subsequent Ignorance, But I Am Willing to Learn!!!

Please, Any Help to Sort this OutWill be Greatly Appreciated!!

Thanks,

Ted

http://community.webshots.com/user/torretab
theophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:35 AM   #2

I agree, the sample photos do look like crap. I Hope its just the lens he used and not the camera itself. I just pre-ordered the 20D and bought a 17-40 f/4L lens. Am I going to regret this purchase?

Thanks
Bladestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:39 AM   #3

Well, I pre-ordered the 20D also but as a kit with the 17-85 IS lens. Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape has glowing praise for the performance of the 20D and with that lens also.

I only hope that I can get my hands on the camera before the end of September (I go overseas on Oct. 4th). My fingers are crossed...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:44 AM   #4

geoffs...you'll want a couple days to read the manual, get acquainted with the buttons and such...but, really, as "un-manly" as it sounds, READ THE MANUAL, many times...lol...you'd be well off if you memorize it, but that might be going too far...

well...back to subject..

i, was amazed at the amount of noise in the iso 3200 shot...just amazed me..where is it all? i get more noise than that with my G2 on ISO100....lol

well...maybe i'm just behind in the times....cuz those shots looked beautiful...

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 1:52 AM   #5

The shots really did look pretty good to me too, vito. It must be different depending on what you were used to. Since we've only had P&S digicams where anything above ISO100 suffers terrible noise, a 20D picture at ISO3200 doesn't seem all that bad. Others that have familiarity with a 10D probably don't see all that much real improvement when 10D high ISO images are compared against the 20D high ISO images.

Manual? I don't read manuals! I'm a systems software developer and we have no need for manuals No... really I intend to read the manual carefully. I'd like to get my hands on one online ASAP but I've seen no links to one yet.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:44 AM   #6

apart from the size of the photo, I cant see any difference in the shots to my Drebel.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:58 AM   #7

Hi Julie - there is a difference, but it's not tremendous. Michael Reichmann of Luminous Landscape goes into the differences in pretty good detail. But, like I said above, if you already have a 10D (DRebel has same sensor) you probably won't see much difference for the most part.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:04 PM   #8

Not knocking Steve, by any means, as this Forum is the BEST, period, but the sample pix I saw at www.dpreview are MUCH better!! They were not all shot on clear days & one in particular at ISO 800 was a winner!

DH
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 3:08 PM   #9

Actually the ISO3200 pictures of 20D do look a lot better than 10D pictures. In the example shots, I see less noise at ISO3200 than I see at ISO800 on my 10D.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2004, 4:52 PM   #10

Yes, the High ISO Indoor Captures thatSteve has Displayed are AMAZING in Their Low Noise Content, Very Remarkable!!! The Cleanest I've Seen Straight out of a Digital Camera!

But, What about the Outdoor Washed Out Exposures! Overall Details are There but the Presentation of the Scene is Cold, Lacks Depthand I find Colors aren't as accurate as I'd Expect!! Is the Lens-or the Settings-or the 20D itselfthe Culprit???

I Know, Time and General Public Usage under different situations will be a Truer Test! Maybe, I'll Continue to be Patient and wait to purchase untill the Experienced and Seasoned Shooters canGet Additional Data and Photo Verdicts out!!!

Thanks,

Ted

p.s. Hey, Check out this web-sight on the 20D w\new 10-22 and 17-85EF-S Lens and 580EX testshots!Very Interesting!!!!!

http://www.mrx.no/Terje.html
theophile is offline   Reply With Quote