Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Aug 30, 2004, 9:31 PM   #1
SSD

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival ofmy new Rebel!!!!

I plan to photograph some upcoming football games and need some advice on how to get some good shots. I have never photographed anything with a lot of action and movement, and I need help!

Thanks!!
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:12 PM   #2

Go to your local bookstore or library and get a book on photography. Read amd learn. There is no short answer to your question.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 6:58 AM   #3

Well since your new to it, I would use two modes. The green square mode that turns your camera into a point and shoot. Also, use the Sport mode. In this mode, the camera will try to focus and keep focus on moving objects.

Your going to need a longer lens if you bought the kit lens. This depends however, on how close to the action you can get. The further away you are, the longer your focal length will have to be to bring up close the action.

Hand shake can be a problem. Try supporting the camera on a local solid object...or buy a bean bag at a local store (or make your own) to rest the lens or camera on to eliminate hand shake. Either that, or buy a monopod or tripod to steady the shots (but only if you think you need one, or if you know you will be allowed inside with one...some establishments frown upon tripods)

You can also try to pan your camera to follow your subject. If done right, you will get a crisp subject with a blurry background. This can be tough to do...so you will have to practice if you so desire this effect.

Try taking photos of fast moving objects. Your pets at play, your children, etc. There are lots of around the house subjects to practice on to hone your skills.

These are just general suggestions.
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 12:01 PM   #4

SSD -

Heres how I have been doing it for the last 40+ years.

The camera part is the easiest. Get the best/fastest lens you can afford. Your choice. Good glass is the single most importantdecision after your camera selection.

Practice and practice and practice - takes as many shots as you can in as many situations as you can imagine. Remember they are all "Free" until you decide to output to a printer or whatever. Pretty soon you get the 'feel' of the camera, how it balances, weighs in your hand etc.

My standard grip is the camera in the right hand with my left supporting the lens barrel. If you are using a zoom lens, it is just the most natural grip anyway.

Now the actual shooting: Football/soccer/baseball/car races/horse shows etc.

1. Learn to "Track" your subject i.e. move smoothly with them until you get that perfect Instant. SQUEEZE the shutter button. If you jerk down you will get a definate "bad shot".

2. Watch the action and figure out who is where and when. Go (move your view) to thatspot and wait for your subject to appear. If you can pre-focus on the spot, you are there and waiting for them to walk/run/jump into the frame.

You will eventually get the 'feel' of the camera/lens combination and know what your limitations are. Until then shoot til yer' arms drop off.

Just some free advice and worth what you paid for it.

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2004, 2:42 PM   #5

I would add the following to the suggestions above:

1. Learn the TV mode. The faster the shutter speed the better the action. You will need to also learn to balance the ISO settings with shutter speed.

2. Learn how to post process your pics the Photoshop elements 2 is a good post processing software.

3. Practice shooting the burst mode.

4. Set your white balance to the available light.

Practice the tracking method, mentioned by Setiprime, I honed my technique by tracking on cars driving down the road.

Have fun!!!!!!

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 5:47 AM   #6
SSD

Thanks for all of the suggestions!! I will practice them this Friday!
Old Sep 2, 2004, 9:51 PM   #7
SSD

Can someone explain burst mode to me?

I am needing all the help I can get at this point! :?:?

Thanks!!
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:21 AM   #8

The burst mode simply fires off pictures in rapid succession - you just keep the shutter button depressed and it will take up to 4 pictures (the limit of the DREBEL's cache - after 4 it needs to write at least one image to the card before you can take the next shot). When the AI servo is kicked in, you can follow your target and the camera will automatically retain focus on your object by 'predicting' movement. An absolute must for sports.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:24 AM   #9
SSD

JohnG

Thanks for the explanation!! What is AI Servo?
Old Sep 6, 2004, 3:49 PM   #10

Artificial Intelegence

Here'a a link regarding AI-AF Servos

http://photonotes.org/other/ai-servo.html
wes nile is offline   Reply With Quote