Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 1, 2004, 4:28 AM   #1

Im now sittingon mydesk at my work,and I just receivedmy new 300D kit. I cant wait to get home and start shooting... Any pointers anyone?How long battery load will take... im so eager to start shooting :-)

I have heard that canon ef 50 mm 1,8 lens is good for lowlight shooting. Would you suggestthat lens for my second lense? I only have this kit lens..

Whoohaa!

Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2004, 9:58 AM   #2

Congratulations - it is a fine camera !! I have shot over 6000 shots since this spring.

The kit lens is pretty good for a starter lens. Suggest you learn what you get with this lens and it's limitations before you run out and buy new glass.

Lots of practice will be the best teacher, and READ YOUR MANUAL !!

I shoot in the Av mode nearly all of the time. As you dial in your f stop (read depth of field), the camera resets the shutter speed for you. Anything slower than about 1/30 second will get you blurring from camera shake (you moving slightly). Don't blame the camera.

I get 300/400 shots per battery charge, using the LCD to check info. It gets down to 0 degrees F.here in Michigan but I have shot several hours without any battery loss.

Bang off a few dozen shots and then come on back with your questions

Good Shooting !
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2004, 10:18 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply ;D I know the basic things about photography...that's why i felt i need a better camera. My old Canon powershot A80 was too slow and too "point And shoot" camera... i know how to use those manual modes, but your right about reading the manual. I think this new 300d will be soo much better and complex than my old camera....

Old Sep 2, 2004, 10:51 AM   #4

Setiprime wrote:
Quote:
I shoot in the Av mode nearly all of the time. As you dial in your f stop (read depth of field), the camera resets the shutter speed for you. Anything slower than about 1/30 second will get you blurring from camera shake (you moving slightly). Don't blame the camera.
It all depends on the lens and focal length used. For the kit lens at 18mm (28.8mm equivalent) 1/30 is the slowest you can handhold a shot. Don't try 1/30 at the 55mm zoom though.

Since you have the kit lens, I would suggest the 28-135 IS USM lens. You'll get about 216mm equivalent telephoto. Its not the cheapest lens, but it is quit affordable and a good value. If you don't think you'll use Image Stabilization, the 28-200 F3.5-5.6 USM is a good value too. The 50mm 1.8 is really good for low light (and a dirt cheap lens), but the 50mm 1.4 USM is even better.

Most of the people I know that have gotten Digital Rebels have started out with the Kit lens, and also bought the 50mm 1.8 and the 75-300 USM III.

What lens to get really depends on the what subjects your gonna shoot.

Canon is coming out with two new EF-S lenses. You might want to save up for those. One is going to be a 10-22mm and the other is a 17-85 with Image Stabilization.

Just practice and learn. Good luck.
jtacuff78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:06 AM   #5

I have the Digital Rebel since it was released last year. My lenses i use the most were from my 35mm days with the Elan 7e(which is an awesome 35mm camera). I have the 28/135 and it does a nice job with keeping things sharp. But like most say, you have to be the one keeping it sharp by knowing how to use the camera with the lense and focal range. You'll have fun learning this camera and DSLR's. My next step is either a 20D or a EOS-1D mark2. As with learning, you have to make steps. That's if your budget offers:|
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 4:55 PM   #6

Thank you for your advice! Im very pleased in this new 300D, & im thinking of buying that 50mm 1.8 lense! Only negative thing in my kit lense is the lack of light when doing indoor shots without flash ;/. Are you guys using those "in camera" parameters like contrast , saturation and sharpness levels? If so can you suggest some good settings. I have photoshop CS and i know the basic things about image editing.. Im not sure shouldI use those "in camera" processing settings? What do you think?

Here's my GF in the first shots that i've taken using eos 300D

Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:08 AM   #7

Hi Bache

Beautiful GF you have and a good model.

For indoor without flash Use 'P' mode and set your ISO higher. Say 800 then use 'Neat Image' to clean up the picture afterwards. It works a treat and means the Higher ISO settings become very useable.

cheers

Mart.
mf_blues is offline   Reply With Quote