Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 2, 2004, 5:27 PM   #1

Just ordered a digital rebel ... one of my hobbies is shooting extreme sports like skateboarding .... I would love to be able to take sequence shots with my new rebel... will this be possible??

I'd like to take this time as well thank Steve, i'm been a big fan of your site for a few years now, its been a huge help when ever looking for a new camera

thanks again
Brian
HauntFreaks.com
hauntfreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 2, 2004, 6:14 PM   #2
djb

Brian, the rebel is capable of taking a burst of 4 frames at 2.5 fps at shutter speeds of 1/250 second or faster. that's according to Steve's review.

dennis
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2004, 7:44 PM   #3

Brian, The DRebel does a pretty good job in burst mode. I do a lot of sports action shots and have used that mode quite a bit, but I would be kidding you to tell you that I was completely satisfied with that. I'd love to have the money to get a camera that has the capabilty of 5fps. In all the DRebel has done a good job for me.

Phil
k1par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 8:24 AM   #4

Brian-

As mentioned above, the 300D takes a burst of 4 shots.

NOW: your ability to 'track' the action during these bursts, and the quality of your lens has a lot to do with the quality that you will be getting.

I shoot horse shows a lot and use the burst to get just the right moves of the horse and rider. I use the 28/135 IS USM for a lot of the stuff.

The camera is quite capable - it is generally the lack of skillof the operator that causes complaints.

Keep in mind that you will have to wait for the shots to clear the buffer before you can shoot another burst, this is just part of the cameras functions. The Big brother of the 300D, the 10D can take up to 9 shots per burst. Of course the 10D is/was about $500.00 more for the unit.

There is no substitute for GOOD glass.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 9:00 AM   #5

Thanks for all the input... other then the burst , is it possible in good sunlight and a high shutter speed to just hold the shutter button down and continuous shoot?
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:42 PM   #6

No.

I posted in error a while back. I had stated that I could take 4 photos, and wait a second, and take 4 more. This is not so. Not sure what I was thinking.

The Drebel seems to take 4 seconds to flush its buffer. Thus I can take 4 shots, wait 4 seconds, and shoot another sequence of 4 shots. My apologies to those who didn't believe my first statement. I just did another test, and found out I was very wrong. My only defense was how much faster the camera was compared to my trusty old Nikon 990.

Anyways, no it isn't possible. The DRebel has2 internal buffers. When you shoot a sequence, it fills up one and then the other buffer. You will not be able to take another shot until there is enough space for the next shot inthe first buffer. A counter will tell you when your camera is ready. If you take another one, then you have to wait till enough space is freed to fit another photo in. Thus, if you force it, you will only be able to take 1 shot each time..as the buffer is continuously emptying itself writing to your memory card. I have found that if you wait about 4 seconds (sometimes longer), your able to take another sequence of 4 shots. If you need to take a shot in between, then you will not be able to take a full 4 shot sequence.

Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 2:26 PM   #7

I use my 300d to shoot surfing and find it more than capable of doing the job well.
Another consideration is using a fast compact flash card. If you use a cheap CF you'll find it wont keep up with the camera and you'll be missing shots because of the slow transfer rate. I use 2x512mb Kingston x40 and find there ideal.
Would be nice to see some of your shots sometime.
Good luck
Mealers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 3:29 PM   #8

Mealer thanks for the CF info.

and if you would like to see more of my skate photos , check out http://skategeezers.comthese were all takin with a sony s85 digital using the half pushed shutter while tracking/paning the skater method

Brian