Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2004, 6:44 AM   #1

I have tried to use the macro setting on the digital rebel but I dont seem to be getting the great results that I get out of my G3. The camera isbrilliant for landscapes, people shots and wildlife but try as I might I dont seem to get close ups with the supplied lens that look really good. Would this be different if I eventually get a designated macro lens and why is the G3 able to produce outstanding macros on it's macro setting and the rebel cant, I mean they are both Canons????
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2004, 9:05 AM   #2

The kit lens is not very good for macro shots. That is probably what is expected from it as it is an average all rounder lens - as in it performs quite well at most things but not brilliantly at anything (aprt from being really good value). A macro lens will give you results that will easily match and more than likely out perform your G3. I bought a Sigma 105mm f2.8 and am very pleased with it. Its very sharp when stopped down and is quite well built... forget about the autofocus tough as it is quite slow. Focus speed doesnt bother me tough as i prefee manual focus when doing macro stuff. I am a relative beginner at macro work but feel free to have a look over here for some samples from it:

http://www.pbase.com/richiehatch/macro

Regards and good luck

Richie
Richie Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 9:05 AM   #3

Well, I can't help you with all of your question, but here is some. Many P&S digitals do good macro. It's one of the things that is really great about them. Why? I don't really know. But it takes a different lens design to allow for macro shots, and most 35-mm lenses don't have it. but they do put it into the P&S cameras (maybe they have fewer lens elements, so it's easy?)

I looked up in my 10D's manual about what the "close-up" mode does. It didn't really say much... not enough, IMO. It puts the ISO into AUTO mode, I assume that is to allow for a larger f-stop which means larger DOF. But that will reduce the shutter speed (hopefully the ISO will help that.)

What do you not like about the results you're getting? Is it that you can't get as close as you're like (i.e. make the subject bigger in the picture) or how the picture comes out? Getting closer is an attribute of the lens, and that is one of the things that getting a real macro lens does for you.

For what it's worth, macro lenses are also usually really, really sharp and have less distortion... and other good things that everyone wants in a lens. They are expensive but you get a lot in return.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 9:19 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies, For now, If I do any macro I will stick to the G3. It really does take very good macro shots and I cant afford a lens right now for the rebel. As I dont really take a lot of macro I cant see the reason to go out and spend large money on another lens. I do hope to get one in the future though.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 1:18 PM   #5

Good results can be had by mating an extension tube with a 50mm prime lens.

In addition I've had good results with the Canon 500D add-on lens mounted on a 28-105mm lens at full zoom. Not as nice as with my Canon 100mm Macro but certainly acceptable. There are some macro shots on my homepage using the 500D/28-105 combo.

I'll guess that part of the reason that P&S's do macro so well is due to the size of their imaging chip relative to the lens and object. P&S's tend to have very small chip's compared to the dRebel's chip.

A good book is 'Close up on Nature' - I'm blanking on the name of the author.

I don't know what other dRebel lenses you have - unless you are really keen on macro consider a non-Macro lens approach, e.g. a multi-element add on lens oradding extension to a normalor longerprime.
ursa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 3:35 PM   #6

I have some results with the kit lens that are ok but not using the cameras macro setting. I found it was better to set the camera to AV and set it to F8. You can see some examples at www.colin750.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk
weeman750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:15 PM   #7

Cameras with small sensors (like the G-3) have shorter focal lengths. I forget the details but somehow this translates into greater DOF making them great for close-up work.

Here's an article about it:

http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/dof/

Some of the better digicams make amazing macros. The Rebel is pretty good if you close down the aperture a bit. Those who are anxiously waiting for an affordable full-frame DSLR will pay for it in DOF, like the man says; "no free lunch".
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 6:31 PM   #8

oops, howdo youdelete a redundant post?
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote