Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 3, 2004, 10:44 AM   #1

Hi,

I just ordered a black bodied Rebel (300D here in Sweden) with the lens kit and a battery grip...

I'm really looking forward to my new 'toy'! This will be my first SLR camera so I guess there are lots of things to learn. Hardest thing seems to be which lenses to buy. Some kind of tele lens probably, and a macro lens since I enjoy macro photography.

How big is the difference between a 'normal' lens and a macro lens when shooting macro?

/Andy
Andy Gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 3, 2004, 12:51 PM   #2

Macro lenses are designed to focus closer and they shift element(s) as you get closer to optimize image quality- normal (regular 50mm lenses)lenses do not do that. There are some prime lenses that have elements that shift as you focus closerthat are not "macro" lenses.How much of a quality difference is there? There is a difference, but maybe not enough for someone who doesn't shoot closeups for a living. Your best quality with a normal lens will be to buy a tube to allow for closer focusing and Canon makes those. Attaching closeup lenses to the front of a normal lens will also work, but you will experience some loss of quality unless you buy the best type adapters, like Nikon's "T" multi-element diopters.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 5:18 PM   #3

WHERE did you order that black 300d? I just bought my silver one here in Finland's importer ;DIf icould choose otherwise, I'd choose the black one ;D
Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 5:30 PM   #4

From www.cyberphoto.se...

I'll probably have by the end of next week...

/Andy
Old Sep 3, 2004, 6:25 PM   #5

What is the big deal with black anyways....all it does is act as a heat sink outdoors?
Chako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2004, 7:04 PM   #6

LOL ! I Think your Right About That ;D
Bache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 8:32 AM   #7

No big deal really but since I had the choice between a silver/black bodied I went for the black...

/Andy
Old Sep 4, 2004, 10:37 AM   #8

I got my 300D just a few months ago and got a 90 to 300 telephoto lens as well as the kit one and Im so glad I did. I use this lens more than the kit one and would suggest this to anyone buying a rebel.
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 11:23 AM   #9

Hey glad to see someone joining the Canon family. Just to add my .02, I played with extension tubes witha couple lenses (I work in a camera store if you didn't know), and I found the setup kinda slow and a pain to deal with. I ended up buying a Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro, and have loved it! I much like the smaller fov, the greater working distance, and I have found that the lens has awesome bokeh (out of focus highlights). The great thing is, it only costs usd $370 from B&H, which is quite a price for what I have found to be a great lens. Hope my humble opinion might be a help!
Gandalf065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2004, 1:07 PM   #10

Thanks for the info Gandalf...

I've been looking at the Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro and it seems like a good choice.

/Andy