Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 11, 2004, 7:26 PM   #1

Is it possible to view the image on the LCD real time while shooting instead of looking thru the viewfinder?
Tracker00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 11, 2004, 9:25 PM   #2

No
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 12:11 AM   #3

That last thing I would want to do is try and hold my 10D or Digital Rebel with battery pack and 17-40 zoom out in front of me and try to keep it steady enough to get a sharp shot at any shutter speed setting just so I can see it on the LCD first, not to mention trying to do it with a 70-200 f4L.

You even need to work on a good holding technique to get sharp shots like that with even a small digicam, especially if you have the zoom out at max telephoto setting. I would imagine there are more out of focus pictures with digicams due to poor handholding techniques than any other reason.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 9:33 AM   #4

No, why on earth would you want to do that?
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:50 AM   #5

The reason I bought a 300D was so that I could frame shots using the viewfinder without worrying about paralax issues. I had a 35mm SLR before I got my G2 and I hated using the LCD monitor to frame shots.

I feel I have more contol over the composition framing with the viewfinder. The LCD display is only useful for seeing the results.
Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 8:51 PM   #6

I'm going to have to disagree about this... I use the view finder most of the time, butI also would like the option to use the LCD in certain situations....

my two cents
Brian
hauntfreaks.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:55 PM   #7

It is physically impossible for an SLR to have an active LCD display given the current design. SLR means Single Lens Reflex -- you're viewing the scene through the lens via a "reflex" mirror arrangement. At the time of exposure, the mirror flips up out of the way and the shutter trips to expose the sensor (or film).They would have to redesign SLR's to accomodate the ability to view through the lens and via a LCD screen. The advantages of through the lens viewing and metering are what make SLR's desireable in the first place.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 1:47 AM   #8

It's possible only if your SLR is an Olympus E-10 or E-20 (fixedzoom lens).

they utilize a beam splitter thatmakes the image available to the sensor and the viewfinder simultaneously,and a CCD type sensor which is capable of video.

You take a slight hit on viewfinder brightness as well as some other performance issues. Takes great pics though.
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 6:07 AM   #9
NHL

Canon can always pull an old idea back: http://www.photozone.de/2Equipment/reviews/eosrt.htm

:-):-):-)
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 8:16 AM   #10

Amateur wrote:
Quote:
It's possible only if your SLR is an Olympus E-10 or E-20 (fixedzoom lens).

they utilize a beam splitter thatmakes the image available to the sensor and the viewfinder simultaneously,and a CCD type sensor which is capable of video.

You take a slight hit on viewfinder brightness as well as some other performance issues. Takes great pics though.

I stand corrected, then. You can't do it with a Canon DRebel :-)