Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:23 AM   #1

I know this may be a bit of a wierd question, but does anyone know if its possible to transfer regular PC files using your 300D CF card. Is there a 3rd party utility i need? the CF card is writable so surely i can write data files to the card in windows.
phong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:37 AM   #2

Yes, you can do that. All you need is a card reader attached to the computer. Windows will then treat that as another drive. Transfer your data then take the card to the other computer and move it as desired. It's a fairly expensive external harddrive alternative since you could buy a 20 gig external drive for not much more than the price as a 1 meg CF card :-)
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 9:44 AM   #3

yeah, that is an expensive option, but thanks for the reaply anyway :-)

its crazy... you can read from the card and the card it writable, but you can't write to it. surely this must be some sort of software limitation? can't stand to see perfectly good space not being fully utilised! :-)
Old Sep 13, 2004, 10:07 AM   #4

phong wrote:
Quote:
its crazy... you can read from the card and the card it writable, but you can't write to it. surely this must be some sort of software limitation? can't stand to see perfectly good space not being fully utilised! :-)
What? You can read/write whatever you want from/to a CF card. Which good space you talking about.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:19 PM   #5

phong wrote:
Quote:
yeah, that is an expensive option, but thanks for the reaply anyway :-)

The card reader option is pretty cheap in fact -- around $30 should get you a decent one, and you also get a great transfer speed improvement, and battery savings-- it can run at USB 2.0 or perhaps FireWire whereas that camera only does USB 1.1. Money well spent; it's close to a must-have for its price/performance.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 3:36 PM   #6

bobbyz - im not sure what setup you have... but i can't write to myCF card withouta CF card reader?

madwand - you are right, its prolly worth the cash... USB 1 its pretty painful. thanks for the input

Old Sep 14, 2004, 2:09 AM   #7

I do it all the time. I have a CF reader at work and at home, I use a spare card like a floppy to carry files back and forth when they're too big to email.
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote