Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 13, 2004, 2:48 PM   #1

Hi there, quick question: I purchased the casio ex-p600 and it isn't what I wanted (felt fragile, pictures weren't great, and lcd was fairly washed out). Either way, I have a nice pocket cam (coolpix 3700) so I wanted a "big boy" to really get into Digital Photography. Obviously I have heard a ton about the digital rebel and nikon d70. The D70 is pretty much out of my price range (>$800) but a used Rebel looks pretty good (lens kit version off ebay for roughly $750).

Basically, is there any reason to wait? Is there a rebel II right around the corner (that will drive the price down of the original rebel)? Is there another dslr coming out in that price range? Any other advice? I'm not really in any rush but of course I want my new toy/project as soon as I could. =)

Thanks!!
DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 13, 2004, 4:46 PM   #2

There will always be another new model right around the corner. You can wait and do without or you can enjoy your purchase. The choice is yours.

If you're serious about buying a used DRebel send a private message to me.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2004, 6:00 PM   #3

You should be able to get a new digital rebel with kit lense for around $830. Call me crazy, but I'm always leary of buying used electronic equipment. Still, I've had the 300D for 3 months now and I LOVE it - you won't be disappointed with it.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:00 AM   #4

I want to reinforce the comment by JohnG. I bought a Drebel for $ 830 with shipping about 6 weeks ago. For not much more than the $ 750 (plus shipping?) cost on EBay you get the peace of mind of a warranty and future access to any changes in firmware orupdates that Canon may offer. I love the camera and am still learning to use all the features. (I'm an old film guy with match needle cameras and no auto focus) Buy a new one and have fun with it! PS -The much maligned kit lens is worth the cost. Mine cost $ 50 net over the body price. It's pretty good at F8 and smaller. I just set the AV to F8 and let the camera pick the shutter speed. If I think it's too slowto behand held, I bump the ISO to 200 and usually get a nice shot.
ADSchiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2004, 10:51 AM   #5

Back when I shot film I bought virtually every piece of equipment I owned second-hand. I have a problem doing it with the digital cameras, mainly because of the image sensor. You have no idea if a previous owner has attempted to clean one and if it was done right or not. That and the fact these cameras are so sophisticted, and the price you are looking at buying one usedis just too close to what you can pay for a brand new one with warranty in case one of those complicated electronicsystems should happen to go out.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2004, 3:36 AM   #6

Yeah, I guess those are good points. =) I will still have to play it by ear because the person who was going to buy my casio ex-p600 dropped out and now I don't have my "down payment" on my Rebel. Boo. I guess I'll just have to save up for the D70...or the Rebel II that is coming out right before the D80 and Rebel III. And so on...and so forth... =)

Why can't they just let us be happy with what we have?
DReborn is offline   Reply With Quote