Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:08 AM   #1

Hi,

I was considering upgrading my current EOS Digital Rebel to a high end camera. I shoot industrial pictures (the projects span up to 40 feet in length and 20 feet in height) for work and would like to be able to eliminate the 'fuzziness' I get when the Digital Rebel pictures get blown up to 30" x 40" for wall mountings. If I have read the review right, the 1Ds will give me approximately 30% more 'clarity' both vertically and horizontally.

My question is: Is the 1Ds a good choice, or is Canon releasing a new camera soon? The 1Ds review was posted in Dec of 2002, so I am assuming that a new camera is on its way. Because of the cost, I would hate to drop $$$ on the 1Ds just to have a newer, better camera show up on the market in a month.

If it helps, I am shooting with the Canon EF17-40mm f/4L lens and have a Novatron 400 Watt flash pack with 4 lights.

Any help or opinions are appreciated!

Thanks!

-Doug Mathey

mathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 15, 2004, 10:47 AM   #2

I'm sure Canon will be replacing the 1Ds at some point (no dates given), but that doesn't alleviate the fact that it's still a great camera.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2004, 1:27 AM   #3

Wait until the end of the month at least, to see what gets announced and hopefully for the prices for the 1Ds, etc. to be further depressed. The last reliable rumour put the IDs replacement in the new year, but price effects might be felt as soon as it's announced.

"several more new uber-cameras will arrive on the scene later this month"

http://luminous-landscape.com/column...ept12-04.shtml
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:45 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. I think I can hold off for a month or two for a better price!
mathey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 11:56 AM   #5
Administrator

mathey wrote:
Quote:
The 1Ds review was posted in Dec of 2002, so I am assuming that a new camera is on its way. Because of the cost, I would hate to drop $$$ on the 1Ds just to have a newer, better camera show up on the market in a month.
Doug, if you didn't see the posts about it, the new EOS-1Ds Mark II has finally been officially announced:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/ca..._1dsm2_pr.html

It should begin shipping in November.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote