Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 18, 2004, 9:19 PM   #1

Is there anyone that has purchased a Canon 20D and having lock-up or freezing probs?? I'm just wondering??
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2004, 6:37 AM   #2

On the DP Review forum there seems to be a lockup if you try to change lens with the camera powered up. The opinon seems to be that it is not mechanical but a firmware issue.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 10:11 AM   #3

That kinda makes sense. Would you expose film to the elements doing the samething, nope. So maybe that's a safety feature. Just like the Digital Rebel and changing the card, while still on, it shuts off. Maybe people are to worried they spend alot of $$$ and freak over lil things. Sorry didn't mean to offend anyone by that remark. Not sure what i will do with getting the 20D or not. I have at least a year before i'll have any money saved. Maybe by then something new or better between the 20D and the Mark 2:-) :|
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 6:41 PM   #4

Why would anyone change lenses on a DSLR while the camera is powered?

When the camera is powered, the CMOS chip generates more static electricity. That invites dust to intrude.

Geesh, the camera powers up in no time. Certainly faster than it takes to cap a lens and put it away after switching.

Cheers,

Mitch
gmitchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 7:54 AM   #5

I agree with gmitchel, you shouldn't change lenses when the camera is on. Of course, I do it some times when I'm in a rush and forget. But I shouldn't.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 11:21 PM   #6

I've had problems with the 20D locking up when (1) I wasn't changing lenses. (2) After I'd changed lenses while powered down. And I wasn't using any 3rd party components at the time other than the CF card.

It looks like the bugs haven't been ironed out yet. I'm hoping for a firmware solution. At worst, a trip back to the factory.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:13 AM   #7

I received my 20D yesterday. I tried to create a lockup but could not. I changed from the 28-135mm USM IS to 50mm F1.8 and then to the 75-300 USM IS lens but the camera continued to shoot. The lens changes were done with the power on. I also used an IBM 1gb microdrive and then switched to a Sandisk Ultra II 1gb card and still not lockup. The camera is even faster than I could have imagined.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:24 AM   #8

It's an erratic problem, probably due to some subtle timing issues IMHO. I'm sure that Canon's also been having the same difficulties trying to reproduce these problems. Hopefully they've made some progress. If they havent, then I think that they could benefit from such a repro sequence coming from the field -- even if it involved doing the same sequence of steps 100 times to get a failure once.

I've put in an inquiry to Canon but heard nothing on this yet.

In addition, I've found that the 20D is incompatible with Metz flashes in ETTL mode. This was confirmed by Metz. Manual and Auto flash can still be used, and Metz thinks that they will rectify this problem with a new adapter module this fall.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 9:26 AM   #9

Oh yeah, jpeg speed is crazy!, and raw speed is pretty good -- a lot better than the 300D for example.