Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 19, 2004, 3:05 AM   #1

Hasanyone else experienced problems with PhotoShop CS conversion of RAW files from the 20D? I downloaded the RAW 2.2 from the Adobe site which lists the MKII RAW as a recognized file format but it doesn't seem to handle the files from the 20D. I was under the impression that the MKII and the 20D both had the same CR2 files. The CRW files from the 10D have not been a problem but alas these new file are a mystery to me. ACDSEE can view CRW RAW but also is not able to view CR2 files. Has anyone else found the same problems and perhaps come across a fix for this?
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 19, 2004, 8:29 PM   #2

As the 20D just came out AND considering 2.2 of the converter was out before the 20D, I would suspect there are changes that need to be made to properly read the data.

While the extensions may be the same, the internal data may not be.

Why not write Adobe and see when an update will be available?

Later,

Tomsch wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone else experienced problems with PhotoShop CS conversion of RAW files from the 20D? I downloaded the RAW 2.2 from the Adobe site which lists the MKII RAW as a recognized file format but it doesn't seem to handle the files from the 20D. I was under the impression that the MKII and the 20D both had the same CR2 files. The CRW files from the 10D have not been a problem but alas these new file are a mystery to me. ACDSEE can view CRW RAW but also is not able to view CR2 files. Has anyone else found the same problems and perhaps come across a fix for this?
TonyKInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2004, 9:02 PM   #3

Adobe is very responsive to this. I'm sure there will be an update coming out directly. I remember reading on their webpage that they will add updates for new cameras as they become available. In the interim, I guess you learn the Canon software :-)
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 12:01 AM   #4

Having used Canon's RAW converter for a while before buying Capture One LE, I have to say being stuck with Canon's RAW converter is about as bad as it gets, but being one of the first to get a 20D, that what happens. Third-party converters are never emmediately available for new bodies since they are not products produced by Canon. They have to wait just like you and me, get the product and write the programs to support them after their release- there are no working agreements with Canon since their products "compete" with Canon's own software. Adobe, Phase One and most other programs will support the 20D, you're just going to have to wait.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 12:30 AM   #5

Well I thank everyone for the replys. It confirms what I knew but was in hope that there was a magic elixure that would make everything work. We now must surmise that the CR2 Raw of the MKII is in some way different. Now there is nothing left to do but wait.............Boy, that is one of the things that I'm not very good at. I'll just keep snapping away in ignorant bliss untill Adobe catches up. If they don't hurry I'm going to have a processing backlog.
Tomsch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 1:16 AM   #6

Tomsch wrote:
Quote:
We now must surmise that the CR2 Raw of the MKII is in some way different.
Yep, that would have to have been assumed as we know that the sensor of the 1DMkII is not the same sensor as that used in the 20D. Since RAW images have raw pixel data, the processing required to convert those raw pixels into RGB pixel data would have to differ between the two sensors.

Nothing to do but use Canon's utility until the 3rd party developers get their hands on Canon libraries with the logic to do the conversions. I'll be in the same boat as you, Tomsch, as my 20D should be available for pickup sometime this week.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 4:49 PM   #7
NHL

Steve just put a link to Breeze System
http://www.steves-digicams.com/diginews.html

... Oops no 20D though - Sorry
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2004, 6:39 PM   #8

I wouldn't write off Canon's RAW converters, although having support in CS is great -- even if it's only for browsing. Some people had spoken well of EVU's technical performance, despite it having a simpler interface & being free, etc. The 20D also ships with Digital Photo Professional 1.1, which is probably technically decent. Of course, these should be inferior in feature set or something else compared to the dedicated third party vendors (or else why are they in business), but that doesn't mean that the Canon utilities as (still) bad -- in fact, there's a reasonable argument that the Canon developers know more than a little about their sensors and image processing.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2004, 10:18 AM   #9

Madwand, I think you have a good point and I surely wasn't implying that the Canon raw conversion facility was going to be technically at a disadvantage compared to 3rd party tools.

For many of us in the "digital darkroom" it comes down to a matter of workflow. Having a raw conversion tool that functions within the PSCS environment, rather than having to use a 2-step application process, is a convenience that is hard to ignore. Unless the Adobe converter plugin produced conversion results that technically could not standup to what the Canon converter produced, at least for me, I'd want to use the Adobe plugin just because it works within the PSCS environment.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote