Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:22 PM   #11

hmm..that'll be interesting...trying to find a 10D in 6 months!

lol....

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:19 PM   #12
Administrator

Vito:

Keep in mind that you may not be able to find an EOS-10D in new condition6 months down the road (although the used market should have plenty).

Ideally, a manufacturer times the release of a new product so that distributors and dealers are not left with existing stock when a new model begins shipping.

So, it's not uncommon to seedealers run out of stock on an existing model,in advance of when a new model is available (depending on how good the manufacturer was in anticipating demand).

In other words, you may only have a small "window of opportunity" for a model that's being replaced if you want one in new condition (I wouldn't count on any given model to be available months after a replacement model begins shipping).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:26 PM   #13

i think i'd rather get it new...but used would be ok...as long as it's still in good quality

i still have to save up lol, so i have at least till after Christmas before i can even think about buying one...

ok, just by common sense...it would be better to buy the 10D as soon as possible right? then get the 12-24mm lens later?

Vito
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:42 PM   #14
Administrator

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
i think i'd rather get it new...but used would be ok...as long as it's still in good quality

i still have to save up lol, so i have at least till after Christmas before i can even think about buying one...

ok, just by common sense...it would be better to buy the 10D as soon as possible right? then get the 12-24mm lens later?
Not necessarily. I just wanted to point out that you may not be able to find one in new condition months down the road (depending on how well Canon anticipated user demand, many dealers may be out of stock by then).

But, chances are, prices will drop some on newer models, even if a model like the 10D is out of stock when you are ready to buy a DSLR. Lots of new models are being launched now (Canon EOS-20D, Konica Minolta Dynax/Maxxum 7, Pentax *ist DS, etc.), and chances are, we'll see even more in the weeks to come (Photokina should also be interesting, as Olympus and others will probably have new products ready for launch).

I wouldn't count out Canon has having something else left up their sleeves, or Nikon having some surprises before you're ready to buy, either). Some manufacturers tend to "play their cards close to the vest".

Competition isgood for prices.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 2:22 PM   #15

good point..

earlier, i was thinking the 20D might drop to low enough for me to afford it...but it's not likely a newer model of the 20D will come out by next spring...so i'm not sure how low the prices will drop...

maybe a new rebel will come out!

Vito
Old Sep 26, 2004, 1:37 AM   #16

I'm coming in on this late, but the earlier comment about EF-s lenses being "not very expensive" seems to be kinda out of left-field. Yes, the original 18-55 is cheap, but the 17-85, at a price of $599, is only $100 less than what I paid for a new 17-40 f4L from B&H, and is MORE than what I paid for my 70-200 f4L. $600 isn't cheap to me, and at a price of $799 the 10-22 zoom that's on the way is not going to be inexpensive. If you even THINK you might want to eventually purchase an "L" lens, don't go spending $599 on a lens you'll only be able to sell for some amount less later. No one pays MORE for a used lens.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 8:43 PM   #17

Really I think the DSLR market is very structured price wise kinda like the PC market but I think they are being more wary of a full on war for bigger better sensor and more camera features.

IMO I dont think we will see a drastic price drop with new DSLRs and they arnt going to be adding more than 1-2 MP on mainsteam DSLRs(under $3000) per year, until they can 1, use the Foveon X3 style of sensor and in theroy tripple quality but tripple the MP or 2 they will lower/raise MP ratings a bit in the 10-12 rages and make it so each pixel on a single layer sensor can store R, G, and B information for better than film quality from a DSLR.

Look what overpushing technology has done to the PC market with the processor wars AMD V Intel, the GPU wars ATI V Nvidia and on and on. PC have gotten so fast and so inexpensive that what you used to spend $3000 on every two-three years to run the most up-to-date high end software at any reasonable speed now you can get for $1000 and last you much longer.

Just think *if* the DSLR market followed the same path that PC followed faster and better for cheaper DSLRs would start to rival meduim format cameras in a few more years and this would hurt most camera makers bottem line because medium format is a even bigger cash cow than DSLRs hence I think after a point DSLRs will be *crippled* to prevent them from rivaling Mediuam format.
VictorEM83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:47 PM   #18

To late here is an excript from a dpreview on Canons latest wonder-toy

Quote:
"The EOS-1Ds Mark II is a tremendous achievement, it represents the pinnacle of Canon's digital camera technology," said Mogens Jensen, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging Europe. "With its resolution, image quality, immediacy of wireless and the power and flexibility of SLR, the EOS-1Ds Mark II offers the first real digital alternative to medium format, which has so far been the choice for mainstream commercial studio and location work."

Canon expects the camera to be adopted in areas such as fashion, car, calendar, advertising and architectural photography.
At 16.7mp it drops right in the middle of the current crop of single-shot medium format backs, and the DSLR camera with builtin sensor costs less that half of one of the MF backs alone. At 9999$cdn, it is still a bit too expensive for most home shooters though.

Couple of years and this sensor should be in the D-Rebel :lol::-):-)

VictorEM83 wrote:
Quote:

Just think *if* the DSLR market followed the same path that PC followed faster and better for cheaper DSLRs would start to rival meduim format cameras in a few more years and this would hurt most camera makers bottem line because medium format is a even bigger cash cow than DSLRs hence I think after a point DSLRs will be *crippled* to prevent them from rivaling Mediuam format.
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:57 PM   #19

wow......rivalling medium format!!

hm...would the density of the pixels make it noisier though? or is the full frame (it is full frame right?) big enough for that not to be a problem?

vito
Old Sep 27, 2004, 11:39 AM   #20

Yes it is full frame and the sample jpgs canon has released look&print increadible. But they are manfacturers samples :lol:will have to wait and see what results the real world gets,

That Fovon looks like an amazing piece of technology, it is too bad it is not being picked up by any of the major names except Sigma. I guess they each have thier own propriatery piece of technology to protect.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote