Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 24, 2004, 12:45 AM   #1

Ive had my 300D for about three months and when I got it at a discount with the300mm lensthrown inthe guy in the camera shop said that prices of the camera will drop heaps in the next six months. Since then Ive seen a drop in price on the 300D of about 200 dollars Australian. It makes me wonder just how cheap the newer cameras eg the 20D or the next replacement for the 300D will be after they have been out for a year or so.

Why would anyone bother with buying the new 20D now when prices will drop within a year?

Im really happy with the 300D but Im wondering if it wont be long before the DSLRs are cheaper than some of the new prosumers.

Also Im wondering if it is worth buying a set of lenses for this camera in case they will not fit another one if I upgrade in the future. Will the prices of DSLRs even out and eventually stop dropping in price so quicly?
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:05 AM   #2

lol, again i'm doing this....but, i'd like to know the answers to these questions too

btw...i think, the lenses you buy, for the digital rebel, "should", if i'm not mistaken, fit all Canon EOS models....

correct me if i'm wrong, of course....lol

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:05 AM   #3
Administrator

Why did anybody own a computer before this year? Why would anybody buy a computer now, they're sure to be cheaper next year. Sound familiar? :roll:

The answer is simple - if you don't buy somethingyou'll never have the pleasure of using it. Why does anybody buy a new car - it loses value the minute you drive it off the dealer's lot.

Digital camera history 101 - not too many years ago we happily shelled out $800 to $1000 for a very slow (but state of the art) one-megapixel camera - and were thrilled to have it.

Only a couple of years ago a digital SLR was going for $15,000 and only offered 2 to 3 megapixels of resolution. The performance of today's $900 Digital Rebel blows it out of the water!

Peace - Steve
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:11 AM   #4

lol...good points steve...

am i right about the lenses? i can't imagine buying lenses for a 10D, and them not working on the 40D(speaking theoretically of course)...

Vito
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:32 AM   #5

EF series lenses should fit all EOS bodies well into the future. The EF-s series will only fit bodies that can take the short backfocus mounts. Which are the bodies with the 1.6x sensor300d, 20d, and with a hacksaw(ugh) the 10d.

Cars and me are a bad example :lol:, My truck is a 1990 and I replaced my car about a year ago because too manypieces started falling off the old one. I replaced it with a 1 year old, never bought a brand new one yet because of the major depreciation that happens in the first year.

Cameras areanother story and a are now a big problem for many small shops as they do have to be periodically replaced to stay competitive. It use to be you spend 10K on your kit and it would last 10+years if you were careful and did not break it. Now you can easily spend 20k+ and expect to replace it in about 3 years or so.
Oh well enough soapboxing.

photosbyvito wrote:

Quote:
am i right about the lenses? i can't imagine buying lenses for a 10D, and them not working on the 40D(speaking theoretically of course)...

Vito
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:43 AM   #6

hmm..i'll have to make sure the lenses i buy are just EF than!

lol...me and cars don't work either peter...

right now, i have ...er....never mind...

Vito
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:50 AM   #7

The EF-s series are not bad lenses and they are also not very expensive, I don't think they are a bad idea to get as they can always be sold off with the body if you decide to move on to one of the 1D series bodies :-)or move up to the "L" glass.

That reminds me I have to get more lottery tickets. :-?
PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:53 AM   #8

hahaha...good thinking peter could you spare 100,000 of the 50 mill you'll win?

thanks...

btw....i'm not cutting EF-s out...but it depends..i'm getting a 12-24mm sigma lens, and i'm hoping i'll be able to keep that one around...it looks amazing...

(no dropping camera equipment for me!)

lol...maybe i should do a quick bank job....then i'll have more than enough money for my camera :blah::?

Vito
Old Sep 24, 2004, 6:10 AM   #9

thanks for the comments. I just realised today that in the last three years Ive spent over 4,300 dollars (australian) on my three digitals and that does not include the three different printers and a second computer (hubby got fed up with fighting me for the use of our sole computer).

I want to buy more lenses for the rebel and Im in no rush for another camera, Im not sure of the exchange rate with USA dollars but it looks as if the 300D is about the same price here as in the US. I am paying it off with a loan over 18 months. Im am think if I ever do upgrade it will be to something like the 20D and it will not be for a long time. I just want to know that I will be able to keep the lenses I buy for the rebel when I do upgrade.

Vito you will love the 300D if you get it, the 10D I know little about but have only heard good things.

As for the three digitals I own, to put it into perspective, my 16 year old uses the 1.3 megapixel for his happy snaps, hubby and i use the G3 and it's telephoto lens as a second camera that we keep in our van for those kind of shots you see when out on the road. So I guess Ive not wasted my money really.:-)
aladyforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:26 AM   #10

Guessing camera prices is a risky business. I am not all that bright so here is my guess.

Canon 300D (Digital Rebel) may drop to $650 with the introduction of a replacement. This is price for body only.

Canon 10D may drop to $1000 for body only.

The 10D is no longer in production with the release of the 10D. Retailers and Canon will drop the price to void their inventory.

You will be able to go to Ebay and find some great prices on the 300D and 10D as people, like myself, upgraded to the 20D.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote