Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 24, 2004, 2:51 AM   #1
KSS

I have had my Canon EOS 10D for a few months now. I cannot seem to get a good picture with it. On the brightest days my pictures come out dark, even shooting in Auto mode. A frequent issue is that if I shoot two consecutive shots back to back one will be lighter than the other. Also, if I am shooting a photo in any kind of daylight with the slightest shade that is not direct sunlight, the result is a very dark and unusable photo. The other issue is that the backgrounds are almost always blurry 98% of the time. The Lenses I am using are Canons EF 17-40mm f/4L USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM. Any help would be most appreciated, as I am very frustrated. Thank you all in advance.
KSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:18 AM   #2
NHL

Did you inadvertly turn the rear wheel and enable the exposure compensation?
-> Check the viewfinder for the -2..-1..v..+1..+2 scale: the bottom indicator bar should be in the middle

Back to back pictures brightness problem could also be the result of enabling the exposure bracketing on the camera's menu, but it usually occurs in a series of 3 shots and can also be verified with the bottom marker on the above scale
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 1:34 PM   #3

Post some shots. What setting you using?

Backgrounds will be blurry if not enough DOF. Again post the shots so other can give better pointers. Without that it is too tough to jusge what you doing wrong.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:50 AM   #4
KSS

NHL wrote:
Quote:
Did you inadvertly turn the rear wheel and enable the exposure compensation?
-> Check the viewfinder for the -2..-1..v..+1..+2 scale: the bottom indicator bar should be in the middle

Back to back pictures brightness problem could also be the result of enabling the exposure bracketing on the camera's menu, but it usually occurs in a series of 3 shots and can also be verified with the bottom marker on the above scale
Hi NHL….

I don't think I turned the wheel. I could have, one never knows. I do know that I did reset the camera to the default setting incase I had inadvertently set improper values. Again too, I don't believe I had exposure bracketing set to on. When I referred to consecutive shots, they were single shot still shots. Thanks for you help you have given me two new things to check and be alert for. Wish me luck as I am venturing out to our annual balloon festival tomorrow and I need good shots. I will check and be mindful of your suggestions and let you know the results. Thanks again.

KSS
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:55 AM   #5
KSS

bobbyz wrote:
Quote:
Post some shots. What setting you using?

Backgrounds will be blurry if not enough DOF. Again post the shots so other can give better pointers. Without that it is too tough to jusge what you doing wrong.
Hi, the settings I was using was the cameras auto modes. I did some "proper" manual settings according to the environment I was shooting in and had the same results in manual mode. However, most of my shooting has been done in the camera's auto modes.

I would be happy to post some shots. I am a discussion board novice here, how do I post the pictures? Thank you for your help.

KSS
Old Sep 25, 2004, 8:27 AM   #6
NHL

KSS wrote:
Quote:
When I referred to consecutive shots, they were single shot still shots.
... When the auto-canceling is not enabled during bracketing, you can do single shots all day long and still get varying exposures!
Also pay attention to the focusing points, since this is where the camera will biais its metering -> if an AF point light up on a bright area, the picture will always tend to come out slightly underexposed.

You can post a picture by hitting the <Browse> icon under the message window and it will pop up an upload screen for you to select which picture file to send
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 2:16 PM   #7
KSS

Thanks I will be mindful of your suggestions. Also, I will post three photos that were shot in auto mode in broad daylight.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:57 PM   #8

A few suggestions:

1. Call/email Canon tech support . Maybe they can walk you through some diagnostics.

2. If it's under warranty, then send your camera and one lens in to Canon service. Call ahead to check. At worst (assuming they don't charge you) they'll tell you it's your fault. At least you won't have to keep on guessing. Perhaps it's a camera problem, and no amount of online diagnosis will resolve it.

3. Try the "sunny 16 rule" for exposure. On a sunny day, put it on the "M" (manual) mode, set the ISO to 100, the aperture to 16, and the shutter speed to as close to 100 as you can (e.g. 125). With your back to the sun, shoot a scene that' getting direct sunlight. If the sunlit parts (excluding highly reflective parts, e.g. metal / water) are properly exposed, then at least the shutter & aperture & image sensor seem to be fine. If you have deeply shaded areas, then these may be too dark -- to a degree, that's normal; digital doesn't have the lattitude of negative film.

4. Then put it into your normal "auto" mode and shoot the same scene, perhaps focusing on different parts (ideally with something of medium tone in the center). If these are all bad, then something's probably wrong with auto exposure.

5. Use the histrogram for judging exposure. Aim to get the image as bright as possible without hitting the right edge of the histrogram. (Of course, use your judgement on occasion when you need to blow a few highlights in order to get more shadow detail).

But I suspect that you might have gone through some of these, and are seeing an actual camera problem. "Try cleaning the lens contacts" is advice that I've heard on occasion.

On the "blurry background" -- perhaps it's normal because you're used to the P&S digicams (that have greater inherent depth of field)? However, if you're shooting on a sunny day (at f/16 or so), with the 17-40 on widethen although you might get some blur if the relative distances between subject and background is great, the background in general should not be blurred. The 10D has a depth of field preview button that can be used to guage the amount of blurriness that you would get at various apertures for your lens & composition. Background blurriness through the viewfinder (when not using DoF preview) is normal because you're seeing it at the lens' widest aperture.

You might be able to, via manual settings & looking at the histogram be able to coax the camera to give you the exposure you want, regardless of any exposure sensor / logic flaw. If you need to bump the ISO very high to get an image in decent lighting, then there's a problem. If you can't even do that by going to such extremes, then you've got a "bigger" problem.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2004, 5:56 PM   #9

Did you ever find a 'cure' for this problem, I have just upgraded toa 300D, and have exactly the same problem, dark images etc

I am not what you would call a novice, and have had many FilmSLR's & Medium Format Cameras and countless Digicamsto date.

I am having to correct all the images in Photoshop, but it is not an ideal solution.

Thanks in advance

Andy

Normsthename is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2004, 10:39 PM   #10
KSS

Hello Madwand,

Thank you very much for the troubleshooting procedures. The camera failed all of them I am still getting dark images that are still dark even when corrected. Not sure what to do next!

KSS