Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 26, 2004, 2:07 PM   #11

I THINK I have determined that the 380 EX is not compatible with the Digtial Rebel. Since the 430 EX works fine on manual with the camera, it MUST? be the flash. So - I have ordered a Metz 54 MZ4 to use with my Rebel. I considered the new Canon 580 EX Speedlight but it is not available yet (don't know how long the wait is). The Metz seems to be more than adequate with some features that the 580 does not have.
We will see how is all plays out. Good return policy on the Metz if I am not happy.
Thanks for your help.
Al Amstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 8:56 PM   #12
Administrator

I don't like to post links to other forums. However, I found multiple Digital Rebel users of the 380EX by doing a little searching. BTW, one had problems until he replacedthe batteries in his (so, you may want to try fresh ones).

I did find one user with the same symptoms as you are having with yours. However, he never did let anyone know what he found out. I suspect that it was a defective flash; since I also saw a report of the 420EX doing the same thing on two other non-DSLR Canon Cameras (and it turned out to be a bad flash).

Here are some quotes from Digital Rebel Users:

"I also used my 380EX from my old Elan IIe with the 300D. I did notice that the histogram was way to left, but, the flash worked fine as what I was aiming at was properly exposed and things seem to be as expected given how E-TTL is supposed to work. That is, things worked fine after I replaced the batteries. Took me a while to figure that one out. "

"I have a 380EX. It is a nice flash. It has ETTL; high speed sync (FP flash), contrary to what others said; auto zoom; bounce flash and auto power off. It is also very solidly built."

"I just got my DR this week and tonight I played it with my 380EX. Everything worked fine exept when I tried to take it off the camera and I couldn't. I tried really hard to loose the screw and it didn't move at all. Anybod knows a way to make the screw loose?"

"I use a 380EX, left over from my Canon Elan II days. It works perfect on the Rebel, especially after a little bit of practice

"So far the 380EX has been great and exceeded my expectations"
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 9:14 AM   #13

Just wanted to mention that I had the same problem with my 380EX on the 10D, half of my pictures were coming out very underexposed (shooting in manual). Flash fired and had the exposure confirmation light (green). Batteries were pretty fresh (recycle time was still fast). Flash worked fine on my Elan 7e.

Solution: As suggested, I changed my batteries and the problem dissapeared. I had contacted Canon who told me to return the body and flash for repair/diagnostics, now I won't bother. I was using Energizer Alkaline at the time.
nbarnard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 3:56 PM   #14

nbarnard wrote:
Quote:
Just wanted to mention that I had the same problem with my 380EX on the 10D, half of my pictures were coming out very underexposed (shooting in manual). Flash fired and had the exposure confirmation light (green). Batteries were pretty fresh (recycle time was still fast). Flash worked fine on my Elan 7e.

Solution: As suggested, I changed my batteries and the problem dissapeared. I had contacted Canon who told me to return the body and flash for repair/diagnostics, now I won't bother. I was using Energizer Alkaline at the time.
That's really interesting. Are you saying that even though the flash is ready indicator was displayed in the viewfinder of your camera the flash wouldn't work unless you changed the batteries? I have had underexposed shots using my 420EX when I don't wait for the indicator to appear ... but this is my fault, not the fault of the flash or the battereis. As the batteries drain, it just takes much larger for the flash to get enough charge.

Bob
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 4:26 PM   #15

BobA wrote:
Quote:
nbarnard wrote:
Quote:

That's really interesting. Are you saying that even though the flash is ready indicator was displayed in the viewfinder of your camera the flash wouldn't work unless you changed the batteries? I have had underexposed shots using my 420EX when I don't wait for the indicator to appear ... but this is my fault, not the fault of the flash or the battereis. As the batteries drain, it just takes much larger for the flash to get enough charge.

Bob
Bob,

That is correct. The ready light was lit (on back of flash) - I waited for it to recharge. Also batteries were almost new - recycle time was still fast. After taking the exposure the flash confimation light on flash was lit - saying it was able to output the required amount of light that camera requested.

I do not suspect that the connection between the camera and flash boot was the issue either as I took it off and cleaned it several times. Looking at the exposure it appeared that the flash did fire (there were shadows from the flash), but the actual picture was VERY dark, as if the flash hardly put out any light.

The strange this is that without changing anything on the camera/flash - it would expose correctly one shot, but the next it would be terribly off (about 50% of the time).

The following night, as suggested by earlier posts on this topic, I changed the batteries in the flash and I could not recreate the low flash output scenerio (which is good, I guess).

Nathan
Old Aug 9, 2005, 6:23 PM   #16

That's really strange. It sounds like the 380EX isn't fully charging with weak batteries, yet reports that it is fully charged and ready to go. This isn't a good thing, since you can't trust the flash to work every time it reports that it is ready.

My 420EX definitely doesn't have this problem, and as I mentioned, the only time I get the type of problem that you mentioned is due to user error.

I guess you'll have to change your batteries a lot! Maybe use Ni-MH's.

Bob
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:06 PM   #17

Any comments as to how good NiMh batteries would perform in an external flash, compared to Alkaline disposable (in terms of recycle times, number of shots)?
Old Aug 9, 2005, 8:11 PM   #18

I am using them with my 420EX and they work fine. I don't know if they will last quite as long as alkalines, but it doesn't bother me since they are rechargeable and I carry a spare set.