Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 24, 2004, 9:56 PM   #1

I bought a Canon Speedlight 380 EX to use on my Digital Rebel. I can't seem to make it work. The pictures in the dark are VERY dark, almost as though no flash was used. The built in flash in the identical situation works great. I want to extend the flash range so I thought the external flash would be the answer. I even returned the flash and had it checked, and worked on (for $95.00) and it still does the same thing.
Are there special modes or setting to be used with an external flash?
Thanks a lot
Very frustrated!!!!
:sad:
Al Amstutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:45 PM   #2
Administrator

http://revolution.cx/rcx/fecset.htm
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:07 PM   #3

You might get better replies if we knew what you were doing. What settings, mode, etc. did you use?

ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 8:25 AM   #4

I doesn't seem to matter what I do. I can't get the speedlight to work. I tried all the modes. The speedlight fires but it "acts" like it is not in sync with the shutter curtain. I'm not sure what more info I can provide to be helpful.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 9:34 AM   #5

Here is another - maybe better- explanation. Theis what I sent to Canon.
I recently purchased a Digital Rebel. Since I want more flash power I purchased a Speedlight 380 EX external flash. I have been unable to make it work. I get a vastly underexposed (often unrecognizable) image. When I attach the flash unit, the camera recognizes the flash and the flash does fire (weakly)but the image appears MANY stops underexposed. I sent the flash unit to be checked and repaired (for $90.00) and it dies exactly the same thing. I have tried all the modes and it seems to make no difference at all. Even manual exposure will not produce a usable image.
Suggestions? Recommendations?
Thanks very much.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 10:18 AM   #6
Administrator

If it's *that* bad (no matter what mode, settings, etc.) Then, there is probably something wrong with either the flash or your camera.

Have you tried a different 380EX on your camera (or your 380EX on another Digital Rebel) to see which one may be at fault?

I'd do that if possible.

You may also want to try resetting your camera back to factory defaults (you'll see a "Clear All Settings" Menu choice). I don't know if this will *really* reset everything or not. But, it should at least rule out a settings problem with the things you can change.

If it were mine, I'd also make sure I was running the latest firmware (you probably already are):

http://web.canon.jp/Imaging/eosdigit...irmware-e.html

Before I sent my camera in for service, I'd also make sure that FEC didn't get set to some ridiculous level somehow, that has more impact on an external flash (see link in my previous post).

Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:36 AM   #7

Thanks much for hanging in there with me Jim. More information. I put my Canon 430 EZ on the Digital Rebel (in Manual) and set the camera on manual. The flash works fine. So Can I conclude that the camera is ok and the problem must lie with the 380 EZ? Is it possible that the flash is not compatible with my camera in spite of what the manufacturer says?? As I wrote earlier I have paid $95.00 to have the flash examined and "repaired". I Would assume that is "should" work fine. Knowing that the 430 EZ works "should" eliminate the camera as the problem???
I appreciate your input.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 11:59 AM   #8
NHL

The "EZ" series flashes are not compatible with the digital cameras -> you need the newer "EX" flashes!!!
It will fire through the hot-shoe because that a standard ISO socket; however the other 4-pins exchange digital info which your older flash can't understand. One of which is to fire a pre-flash for the camera to meter properly (even on manual) which your older flash can't understand.

-> What you can do is to use the 380/430EZ manually by dividing it's Guide Number by the camera's distance to the subject and set the aperture on the camera accordingly...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:21 PM   #9
Administrator

Al Amstutz wrote:
Quote:
Thanks much for hanging in there with me Jim. More information. I put my Canon 430 EZ on the Digital Rebel (in Manual) and set the camera on manual. The flash works fine. So Can I conclude that the camera is ok and the problem must lie with the 380 EZ?.
Al:

I would not rule out the camera, unless you try another 380EX with it, ortry your 380EX on a different Digital Rebel (theremay bedifferences in the way the camera interfaces with the 430EZ compared to the 380EX, even in manual exposure mode).

After all, the 430EZ is not supposed to work with the Digital Rebel (but I have seen some users report that they are using it in Manual Mode).

Quote:
Is it possible that the flash is not compatible with my camera in spite of what the manufacturer says??
Not from what I've seen usersreport. You do see some occasional reports ofconsistently underexposed photos with the Digital Rebel, using either the internal flash or the380EX (but we're only talking less than a stop -- not the results that you are reporting; and most users don't seem to have a problem).
Old Sep 25, 2004, 5:22 PM   #10
NHL

The 380EX was discontinued sometime before the 1st Canon dSLR... It was replaced by the 420EX which was designed for digital (even though the 380 might have an EX on it...). The 380 does not support wireless for example while other does and they all provide a modeling lamp function which are high-speed burts. IMO the 380 can't fire two quick flash burts in succession required by the pre-flash.

:idea: -> Set your 10D on 2nd shutter sync and some slow shutter speed of 1s or more - Does it pre-flash first and then fire with the real burst when the 2nd curtain close? If it doesn't then this 380 is not comaptible with your camera.
o If you have a DRebel you can do the same with the FEL button - ie when you lock the exposure with the flash on the camera will command the flash to fire a pre-flash as well for it to meter properly...
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote