Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:58 AM   #1

It took an entire week for it to arrive, but I finally have my 20D. I've had the 10D for over a year and am very satisfied with it. I'm trying to go "more pro" so I need at least two high qualitycameras for shooting special events. Getting the 20D allows me to reitire my CP5000 from backup duty.

I thought some of you 10D owners who were undecidedabout making the upgrade would appreciatea brief summary ofinitial differences between the two cameras from a novice (non-professional review).

Packing and accessories. Canon has managed to streamline the packaging without making it seem cheaper than the 10D stuff, just much neater. For example,the charger is one unit instead of having apower cord and charger.

The differences in the cameras are similar. The 20D feels tighter, lighter andmore compact than the 10D. It defintely needs the battery pack to help balance when using bigger lenses. I noticed it produces sharper images using the Sigma lenses (28 - 70 2.8 EX HSM) than the 10D. The focus is extremely fast and works better that the 10D (on this lense). I noticed that with the 10D,my Sigma lenses do not focus as sharply or as fast in indoor lighting situations as my Canon 28 - 200 USM lense.

Image previews and file deletions are much faster, almost no delay. Noise appears to be less.

The built-in flash is taller, but seems tobe less sturdy than the one on the 10D. This is probably due to the difference in height. It's 12:30 am my time, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow to take it out andget some outdoor shots.

Phil it was killing me hearing about you and the others who got Their 10D cameras right away. Did you give your son the Rebel?

Bill
wsandman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 25, 2004, 7:12 AM   #2

Bill

You will have some fun tomorrow. Let us see some sample photos.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2004, 1:23 PM   #3
KMS

Hello Everyone,

Just received my first Digital SLR (20D) and am very happy with it. The one thing I was amazed with immediately was the 5fps speed. I have a pretty slow card, and it still had no probelem writing at 5fps. I'm not an experienced photographer (fairly new to the hobby actually) but I did notice my flash pics (with 550EX) seem a little underexposed for my tastes (compared to my film pics and a couple of weeks experimenting with a canon G5). I'm going to print a couple photos tonight to verify this but this seems to be the case.

Other than that, I am truely amazed. One of the best decisions I have made yet.

Ken
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 10:42 AM   #4

OK - All of you people out there who have the 20D - what are you waiting on to post some pix????? There are a LOT & I mean a LOT of people posting sample pix on "that other site".

DH
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:07 AM   #5

Ok, railfire, I'll post a picture just for you :blah:

Actually, I just received my 20D with the 17-85 IS lens yesterday. This is my first DSLR and I've not been feeling the need to immediately go out and take shots because I really want to feel that I have some control of this baby. That means that I've been reading the manual and getting familiar with all of the controls (typically a foreign concept for little 'ol software engineer me).

However, this is a just out of the box (after battery charged up) shot using the settings as set from the factory - I exercised no control over any aspect of this shot other than focal length and framing.

Attached Images

geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:22 AM   #6

OK. Nice pix, what I'm looking for are some outdoor Scenic type pix or birds or beaches or whatever you can dig up. Or some band at a concert either in the daytime or night time. Or some pix you may have posted on pbase or whateverrrr
Railfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 12:58 PM   #7

railfire, go to www.dpreview.com and go into the forums. There are more 20D pictures there (last I looked) than I could shake a stick at.

You'll get your fill very quickly.

geoffs, good to see you got your camera before your trip.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 3:11 PM   #8

Thanks, Eric. This baby is a just a small cut above what I was using before (what an understatement!). I'm going to really try and get command of all its features before I leave which means this first week I'm probably going to take a lotmore bad pictures before I start getting some decent ones. I'd rather my mistakes were made at home and not on the trip!

I admit to being disappointed that the kit lens did not come packaged with a sunshade for the lens.
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:46 PM   #9

You are not the first to complain about that. Canon does it on several lenses much to the annoyance of many people (and some very expensive lenses too, like the mid range macro lenses.)

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2004, 7:27 AM   #10
NHL

It's not just the shade!

... but the lens case and the removable tripod mount as well. Folks tend to 'forget' this when they do comparison shopping. IMO Canon just try to nickel and dime the buyers why don't they just price theses items in the lenses like the 3rd parties? :lol:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote