Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:10 PM   #1

Not sure where to post this--just wondering if all digicams will have this shutter lag b/c of the time it takes to write to the memory card. I have missed so many great candid shots of my kids b/c of this time (when you have 1 & 2 year old boys, every millisecond counts!). Is there not a darn thing I can do about this? Thanks!
amytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:24 PM   #2

I forgot to mention--I'm using a CF 256 card. Would 1GB speed it up significantly?
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:28 PM   #3

Unfortunately Canon did not upgrade firmware for the writing to the memory card until the next generation of cameras. Since this may be an actual hardware implementation it may not be possible to get updated.

The new 20D and better are a lot faster at writing as is the Nikon D70. They all write to memory about 4 times faster than the 300D/10D.They all also have bigger buffers that help.

You might want to check out this site http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/mul...?cid=6007-6425

and see if your card is especially slow. But probably you will just need to accomidate it, you can do some adaptation by shooting in lower modes (JPEG not RAW, when you are in a fast shoot situation).After all its better to get a lower quality picture than no picture at all.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:42 PM   #4

amytude

I use the Scandisk Ultra II 1gb card and gave my kingston 256mb card to my son. The Ultra II does seem to write a bit faster than the old 256 card. It is not the size of the card but the technology that makes the Ultra II faster.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 6:25 PM   #5

Oh, OK, Phil--I'm sure both of mine are "old technology"--ha (consideringit's not all that "old"). I also have a ridata 256that I purchased on vacation (needed to shoot raw and forgot to emptymy othercard). Thanks for the link, castledude. I guess this will be the next thing I save up for. Hey, my 10 year anniversary's coming up. You think DH would like to buy me some new gear & accessories????? Romantic, isn't it?

Amy
Old Sep 28, 2004, 7:16 PM   #6

Congradulations on your upcoming anniversary. My wife and I just celebrated our 36th. Romantic is buying what makes spouse giggle with passion. I bought my wfe a new quilting table and she is very happy with her anniversary present. I am sure DH is a romantic devil who is putty in your hands.

Phil
Old Sep 28, 2004, 7:20 PM   #7

Doesn't the rebel have a burst mode (10D user here)? Use it with AI servo.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 8:21 PM   #8

Bobbyz

Yes, the 300d has a burst mode of 4 shots and it only works in the creative modes.

Phil
Old Sep 29, 2004, 7:35 AM   #9

Actually now is a pretty good time to buy a new memory card - a 1 Gig Ultra II is going for around $100 now.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:37 AM   #10

Burst mode notwithstanding, the Digital Rebeldoes have a buffer for holding up to 4 images, meaning you have to have 4 images being processed at one timebefore it will keep you from taking your next shot. In shooting some reunion events and one wedding I never had to slow down shooting due to that buffer filling up, and thats using Sandisk's basic 1 GB flash card and shooting all imagesRAW. Shutter lag is notyour problem with the Digital Rebel.If your card is so slow writing thatyou keep that buffer filled you are shooting pretty darn fast anddo probably need to look into a new card.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote