Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:14 AM   #1

I've just dropped off my Digital Rebel at the Canon repair depot here in Toronto. After nearly a year of making upwards of 7,000 pictures with the kit lens, a Tamron 80-210 and a Sigma 170-500 APO, the camera started giving the dreaded "error 99" message. None of the remedies I read about here -- reboot camera, remove lens and reinstall, remove batteries and reinstall, clean contact points -- had any effect. The woman at the Canon depot said it was the first camera she had seen with the problem. I know Canon has tried to lay the blame for this on third-party lens manufacturers, but my experience with the Tamron and Sigma lenses tells me this is bunk. Could it be a virus of some kind? I'll repost when I get the camera back next week (I hope). Thank God it is still under warranty.
jazzboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2004, 11:40 AM   #2
NHL

Try to swap the battery (if you have a spare...) and see if the problem follow the battery
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 9:17 AM   #3

My 10d did the same thing! Only I was using it underwater in a Jonah housing and discovered if the srobe was not connected to the hotshoe or if my strobe was off it would give the Err 99 code. The camera was fine- once I realized what was causing the problem- I just had to make sure that the strobe was connected! I hope this helps.
Jennifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:51 AM   #4

I have the dual battery pack setup and tried the camera with both batteries one at a time. Same problem: one or two shots before the error message returned.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 12:53 AM   #5

I have no external strobe or flash. But thanks for the suggestion.