Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Sep 30, 2004, 2:53 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy a 20D body, will be in Portland OR at the end of Oct. Thought it may be a good way to pick one up and avoid Arnold's CA tax. Anyone have advice on a good store in central Portland with good prices?

TIA

David
dcl2q is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:05 PM   #2

Hmmm, are you sure you want to buy in Oregon? There's a special tax levied if you're here visiting from California...
geoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:11 PM   #3

I dont' think there would be tax if they just walked into a store and purchased it. Now if you had to show ID, that would be a different story.

Just look at us Vancouver folk. We cross the river and buy stuff all of the time without paying WA tax. :lol:

Now I think the problem will be finding a store that had the 20D in stock. :blah:
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 4:13 PM   #4

RyanH wrote:
Quote:
I dont' think there would be tax if they just walked into a store and purchased it. Now if you had to show ID, that would be a different story.
Hehe - Ryan, my comment was just a joke, based on the somewhat traditional feelings of native Oregonians to the invasion of people moving to the state of Oregon from California...
Old Sep 30, 2004, 8:14 PM   #5

What geoff said so eloquently was "don't Californicate Oregon" :-)j/k
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 3:10 PM   #6

I know. I was kidding too. I am an Oregonian, born and raised. Just moved to the Couv a couple years ago.

I did hear however on the radio a while back that Oregon was thinking about implementing an "I-5" tax. But I think that was only for tourism.
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2004, 5:05 PM   #7

RyanH wrote:
Quote:
I did hear however on the radio a while back that Oregon was thinking about implementing an "I-5" tax. But I think that was only for tourism.

If there's a way to tax someone, Oregon will try to pass it through the legislature!:?
Old Oct 1, 2004, 6:58 PM   #8

ohenry wrote:
Quote:
If there's a way to tax someone, Oregon will try to pass it through the legislature!:?
While I agree that what you say is all too true, it's obvious that you haven't lived in New York or New Jersey (as I have)... :roll: It's far worse in those states. In fact, it's bad everywhere...

BTW, for the original poster... I bought my 20D from the Shutterbug chain of stores (www.shutterbugonline.com). Another good place would be Pro Photo Supply on NW 19th Street in Portland. The problem, however, is going to be that all their stock is probably allocated to people on the waiting lists. You might call one of them and get on their waiting list so it is available when you arrive.
Old Oct 1, 2004, 8:09 PM   #9

There's a nice camera store over in Beaverton that might also work. CalR lives in that area and could give you better information.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 12:24 PM   #10

A couple of stores to try in the Portland area - Camera World in downtown Portland, ProPhoto Supply and various Ritz/Kits Camera locations. I pre-ordered mine from Kits at Jantzen Beach and when I inquired about a second one they thought they would have them in stock in about a month - around your time frame. Good Luck:|
Erin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote