Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 2, 2004, 7:42 PM   #11

remote shutter release
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2004, 8:00 PM   #12

ok, believe it or not, my G2 uses the same battery as the 10D (wow how great is that?!)

so i could use that one...

i will DEFINETELY look up the case...

i think the one lens (at least one ) has a lens hood on it...

my dad might have some lens cloth and such...maybe...lol...it's old though :-\

UV filters..i'll have to look into them..unless, in some miracle, the lens i buy is the same thread size as my dad's lens..lol

i was thinking of a polarizer already...and an IR filter would be a BLAST....

i'm thinking a battery grip would be good, but not a necessity...so i'll wait a bit for that one...maybe even till my next body..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 1:30 AM   #13

ok, here we go...

i searched b & h photo...added all the stuff i was looking at to my cart...and EVERYTHING came out to about 2,100 dollars..

not too bad...

i have (possibly) a last question...lol...maybe my last...one of my last...

there are three lenses i'm looking at....i looked up prices on bhphotovideo.com (know anywhere better? i'd appreciate cheaper sites ) and looked at it's rating on photozone.de...they are listed in order of quality..(according to the dudes at photozone.de

Sigma AF 3.5-5.6 24-70mm HF.......................3.44 (4) good...

Sigma AF 3.5-5.6 28-200mm Hyperzoom macro...........2.84 (2) average

Sigma AF 3.8-5.6 28-135mm IF Aspherical macro......2.72 (3) sub-average

lol, now...with the sensor crop, the 28-200 would be 44.8-320....not bad

the 28-135 would be 44.8-216....not bad either....still a decent step up from wat i have now...

and then, the 24-70 would be......38.4-112....which would be 10mm longer than wat i have now...and would probably work...

ok, the prices....

the 24-70 is 120

the 28-135 is 140

the 28-200 is 190

would it be worth the quality drop and the 20extra bucksfor the extra reach of the 28-135?

or a smaller quality drop, but bigger price gain for the much bigger reach of the 28-200?

of course, i could always upgrade later...

here's links to all three lenses...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...267&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...345&is=REG

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...619&is=REG

thanks for all your help guys! i appreciate it more than you could possibly imagine!

it must take a lot of patience to deal with a constant flow of questions...from everyone else..let along all these questions just from me!

thanks!

Vito

[oh man...just realized...what i have now...is 3x optical...and 102mm (35mm equivalent) is not counting the 3.6x digital zoom....shoot..]

Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:48 AM   #14

Vito, this is the lens I use and it has worked great for me on my Digital Rebel.

Tamron Zoom Wide Angle-Telephoto AF 28-300mm f/3.5-6.3 Ultra Zoom XR LD Aspherical IF Macro Autofocus
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...516&is=REG
choeschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 12:08 PM   #15

The thing about photography is there's always one more thing you want!
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 3:29 PM   #16
NHL

Photosbyvito

Before you buy... Make sure to check the Minolta 7D :idea:
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 11:49 PM   #17

i dunno...i think i'm gonna stick with canon

lol, i'm sorry i'm really a pest...

i was just looking at the rebel...

in your opinion, does the quality "issues" overweigh the price difference?

if i get the rebel, there will be a much bigger chance i'll be able to afford it...

gr...i have no patience...i want it NOW! lol

i can't really decide anything now, but it looks like the rebel is a "cheaper" version of the 10D...

now, if the 20D drops 500-600 dollars by nextMay....possibly June...(unlikely, as far as i know), i could get that one....or if i can find a 10D that far after discontinuation..

if i get the rebel, i could get it MUCH sooner, and it would save me at least 200 dollars...

wat are your thoughts?

thanks for putting up with my, seemingly, endless amount of questions, about stuff i should be able to come up with answers myself...

btw...is "pentamirror" that much worse that "pentaprism"?

thanks

Vito
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:15 AM   #18

The 300D is a very decent camera, but it's slow when compared to the 20D, and doesn't have E-TTL II, and doesn't focus quite as well. You can even get it in black now. I don't see much sense in buying a 10D from a capability standpoint when you can get the bulk of its capabilities at less cost and also EF-S support (assuming you're willing to buy into cropped DSLR's for the long run or to dump those lenses in the future.) Unless of course you can get a 10D for about as little as a 300D - then, except for the EF-S support, it's better.

Fairly reliable rumours peg the 300D replacement "in the new year". I think it could be a killer if they borrow some more of the 20D technology and the 10D is no longer around to suffer for that.

I would also guess that Canon would not want to say anything until they're just about ready to ship it (why? they'd just hurt their own 300D sales), unless a competitor already has a 300D killer (whose sales they want to hurt with a better announcement) (Nikon's D70is close, but is a bit more expensive; the 10D might be fending that off still; the 20D costs more).

But there's potentially a long time between now and "in the new year", and a lot of fall colours, weather, etc., that's going to pass by in the meanwhile. And who knows how good the 300D's replacement is going to be?

BTW, I just bought a 4GB microdrive for my 20D for around $170 on eBay. Well, I think I did -- I'll see if it shows up working... I paid $230 for my first one a while back (it arrived and is still working fine). I took a walk downtown in my city today for a few hours, and shot 185 raw 20D images - 1.5 GB (and 2 rolls of 36 frames). If I had 4000+ posts and was on a trip where I couldn't go back to easily, I'd probably take a lot more in a day.

BTW, I'm not sure if I'd buy a Canon if I had no legacy investment and the D70 had been available at the time. There's something cool about being able to use old MF lenses that I find appealing. And almost everyone's willing to be bit behind the bleeding edge, unless they're neurotic and/or well-heeled.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:13 AM   #19
NHL

photosbyvito wrote:
Quote:
btw...is "pentamirror" that much worse that "pentaprism"?
The Pentaprism is a solid block of glass polished into 5 reflecting surfaces - The five mirrors does the same thing except lighter and cheaper to manufactured...
The tradeoff? dust can get into the viewfinder or the mirrors can go out of alignment over the long term (also brigthness?)

... Don't discount the Minolta 7D yet - shooting @ 1/6 of a second in a dark church at ISO 3200 with no tripod is quite amazing IMO. You'll probably hear more of it soon :G
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 10:14 AM   #20

thanks for your comments

i hate that i can't really do anything now...but i have to save up..work a lot, i got some money for my birthday, and Christmas, so i don't think i'll be able to buy anything until AT LEAST after Christmas...

hm...400D?

sounds nice to me

Vito