Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:44 PM   #21

I think you are making a subtle error in your decision making process. A camera body is a long term replaceable component, while the lenses are the long term keepers. Reading the rest of this thread indicates you are willing to drop $1400 on a 10D (go with 20D) and only back this purchase up with $150 lens(es). I think this is a mistake in thinking. For a similar amount of money, you would be better off (long term) with a 300D and a much higher quality lens(es) than with the more fancy body and lessor lens(es). And then, later when your picture taking skills have become limited by the 300D, then move up to a 20D and keep the higher quality lenses.

If you check out lens prices on ebay and around the net, you will find that the highest quality lenses often sell for more on ebay than you can get them from (say) B&Hphoto. On the other hand, dumping low end and midrange lenses on ebay is sure to loose money. THerefore, it is less expensive to simply wait until you can afford the quality glass.

If this relegates you to a lessor body in the meantime, you will still have plenty of opportunity to develop your picture taking skills with the lessor body.
MitchAlsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 5:34 PM   #22

Here is an option Vito -

Sears has the 300D kit for $999 - http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...igital+Cameras

They match & beat prices from other places - http://www.sears.com/sr/misc/sears/m...cal=ELEC#price

This place has the 300D for $620. http://www.amphotoworld.com/product....=cneos300d1855

You could print out this info, take it to Sears and get a 300D kit for around $580.

RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 5:44 PM   #23

wow..excellent point mitch...

i think you've helped me make my decision...

ryan...that's some great stuff there!

now i just gotta save up 600 bucks, and find a sears near me

(i have about 320 now)

thanks again for your comments, and the time and thought put into them!

i REALLY REALLY REALLY appreciate it!

Vito

photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:19 PM   #24

vito, 2100 is not bad at all...

you might want to think about the battery grip some more, i got one for my d100 and i cant belive i lived without it, double battey life, voice memo, remote control plug/port

also, something thats preaty cheap it a d-ttl cord for your flash, i notice you do a lot of still life/macro, that cord is perfect for that, it alows for off camera flash, while still alowing ttl

Brad
bradg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2004, 10:42 PM   #25

woot...i got 280 bucks left and i'll be able to shoot with the rebel!

then i got some filters, two lenses, a bag, a lens cleaning kit

btw....wat's good about digital, is i can fix the CA...so that's not a problem...

Almost anything,right now, is a step up...so a "cheaper" lens isn't a problem lol

barrel and pincushion can be fixed too...so it's not a huge deal if my lenses do that (i don't think the ones i'm getting have a problem with that anyway lol)

aaaaand, dust spots...cloning...wow..lol no problem

well...only a couple hundred hours of working left!

oh yeah....good point about the battery grip...i'll see how much i have...i "need" the camera and the two lenses by next june....i got a vacation...double battery would be GREAT there...but, i'm gonna be having CRAZY days, packed with photo opportunities, so i'm gonna need alot of memory..lol (i can download every night...so i'm thinking a 1 GB would be enough...and i have a 128, and a 32..)

also, none of my macros or still life shots have used flash....although, that cord might be good for other things...and might give me a good reason to use flash...

thanks for your comments and time brad!

Vito

Old Oct 14, 2004, 4:34 PM   #26

no problem vito

what does CA stand for? the only thing i can think of is bromobenzyl cyanide, but im sure thats not what your talking about

brad
Old Oct 14, 2004, 4:40 PM   #27

Chromatic Aberration

lol

fringing

Vito
Old Oct 14, 2004, 4:44 PM   #28

thanks
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:10 PM   #29

Vito,

Do NOT buy from amphotoworld, they are an extremely shady operation, I made the mistake of buying there because of their low price and ended up spending an extra 200 dollars because they advertise the grey market price (without stating it) and I wanted the USA warranty. And then it took a week to ship it when I ordered it for 2nd day. It's not worth it, trust me.
rob_strain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2004, 9:57 PM   #30

thanks rob...i wouldn't trust them either, but that's wat the sears is for...

they price match..

Vito