Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 3, 2004, 6:23 PM   #1

Maybe i read into to many badd things, but is this camera worth the chance?? I don't need a camera locking up, and if i did buy it the battery grip will be a big purchase too. Am i just reading into to many badd things to over weigh the good?? I have a digital rebel, but i've really out grow what it can offer. I want to make the next step, but i feel with all i've read of the badd, the 20D seems to be a pass. But the sad thing is, i can't afford the EOS-1 Mark 2. So, i've thought about going back to my Elan 7e(35mm film camera). I don't have deadlines to meet and the knowing about what i took doesn't mean that much compared to $$$$. 4,500.00 so i know what i took to knowing i can trust my skills with film.
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:21 PM   #2

Remember that the internet is filled with people of all experience levels and many of the comments must be taken with a grain of salt. Also, recognize that happy people are less likely to make comments than people who feel that they've been served a bad deal. From what I've read, it's a great camera. Yes, I've read reports of locking up and noisy mirrors. But I've also seen plenty saying that they haven't experienced the lockup and that the noisy mirror isn't near the issue being made out to be.
ohenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 8:27 PM   #3

people are complaining about a noisy mirror?!

wat would that have to do with anything? lol?! who cares if you can hear it?

do people think it would scare wildlife away? or are they just really easily irritated?

lol....i don't think that would be nearly a big enough problem to not buy it...

just my opinion..

Vito
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:22 PM   #4

I have my 20D since 1 week now and I dont see any noise.Im very happy and satisfy with it yet.Most of the pictures I took with are very niceand im still discovering this camerawith all thos fonctions.
Pierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:27 PM   #5

I understand that. Getting caught up in all the craziness can be overwhelming. I think people don't take photography serious enough to understand that camera tech shouldn't be an issue, or the "Jones theory". Meaning keeping up with others! I think camera companies feed off that and create new cameras to early and it does create a madness when things go wrong and blame is put on the camera. I would be happy to own a DSLR that would give me as many years as my 35mm cameras have. Photography is about creating your expressions. Taking everyday pictures, capturing moments that will last forever. Pictures do speak a thousand words. The average P&S digitals are awesome for that. But that thing goes once you've used a SLR type camera, going back to a P&S is hard. Your not suppose to worry and get grey hairs over what is wrong with this or that. Enjoy your camera, learn from it and when you feel ready move up(if you can afford it). :|
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:50 PM   #6

macatack71 wrote:
Quote:
I would be happy to own a DSLR that would give me as many years as my 35mm cameras have.:|
What is is about your 35mm cameras that give you years and years? I was reading your other thread in the Genral section, and the only thing you mentioned about your Rebel is the fps. Is the fps really that important enough to justify spending $1K plus on a new body?

BTW - I am not trying to come off angry or anything. Just asking questions. Just playing devils advocate.. :lol::evil:
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2004, 9:59 PM   #7

I have had my 20D for two weeks now and have shot about 500 photos including 300 on my vacation trip to Atlanta. No lockups and the noise is very good even when shot on 1600 at the Stone Mtn. laser lite show. I kept my DReb as a backup and for my girlfriend to use. for my money it is the best value in a DSLR
DX6490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 2:41 AM   #8

I'm with RyanH. Upgrade fever hits us all, but do we really need to upgrade? Apart from faster shooting when needed, and maybe autoflash pictures, I doubt that I shoot any better with a 20D than I did with a 300D (which I originally got for my wife).

The net is full of people saying that they don't see enough in the 20D to upgrade from their 10D's. I think that the 300D is more than close enough to the 10D (esp. if you get the 3rd party firmware, which I did.)

So: What exactly do you feel you have outgrown in the 300D? Viewfinder? Can't do much better in budget. Speed? 20D certainly, esp. for JPEG. Can't think of much else you can do with a higher end camera that you can't do with the 300D. I'd spend money on lenses before upgrading the body.

Now: If "outgrown' means that you want a camera the feels & looks a bit better and is felt of by others to be a bit more serious or up-market, then by all means, get a 10D or a 20D if you can afford it. But don't be silly and put a cheap lens on an expensive body.

(DSLR's bodies are too expensive to recycle, yet you have to in order to get improvments in resolution. Slow bottom feeding (pardon the term) is the most cost-effective way to go through that development in the long run.)

And I think that the 300D is a fine camera. And I think that it has to be because entry-level DSLR is strategically important to the camera companies (with price considerations). For that reason, I think that the future 300D replacement will also be nice.
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:04 AM   #9

The enjoyment of learning with my 35mm. Digital is great, just sometimes i get frustrated that's all! No worries about the devil avocate(the movie was better):-)
Old Oct 4, 2004, 8:16 AM   #10

Getting caught up in new things can get to a person. Besides here to vent sometime i do that with a photographer friend of mine here where i live(he does the same back with me) and it helps. I think i'm going to wait for awhile longer. Maybe in the next year purchase a couple new lenses(L series). I do have a 100/400 IS USM 4.5/5.6, but would like a 70/200 2.8 and a 17/40 2.8. Most people have told me that is a better lense option. It might be alot more money, but there better quality(better be for the $$$$). Thanks all for your comments. I'm done with this subject....Moving on