Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 5, 2004, 11:22 AM   #1

Ok guys - this is to let you know that I am going to update the firmware of both the Mk II and the 20D tonight after supper and at least two glasses of red wine.

Fortunately I am one of those very rare people who think as sober as a priest after a couple of glasses of wine.

But – just in case anything goes wrong - please tell your military guys that if they noticed a hell of a explosion in the direction of Pretoria, it will only be me and my cameras.

That should be around 21:00 SA time.

Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:03 PM   #2

You will hear a loud noise and a black hole will open and scoops you into the 1mp camera world. (LOL)

Read the instructions!!! The camera needs to be set to the P mode for the upgrade to work. I had no problems with the update. Also be sure to save the firmware update to the root folder or the camera will not be able to access the update.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:06 PM   #3

How do you know your in the root folder ??

Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 12:12 PM   #4

You can see the DCIM (I think this is name of the upper folder) when I view it with my card reader. It would be the same folder if you plug in the camera.

Phil
Old Oct 5, 2004, 1:34 PM   #5

Two cameras at once?! What if the astrological signs dictate that you'll experience misfortune or failure... that's both cameras out of comission! Just make sure the first upgrade is fine before moving onto the next..:?
Onyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:13 PM   #6

Hi there,

I'm back sooner than I thought - here's what happend:

I created a Canon directory on my laptop's C drive and then created a MkII and 20D directories in the Canon directory.
I copied the EOS1DMK2102.EXE to the MkII directory and the EOS20D104.EXE to the 20D directory.
I ran the EOS20D104.EXE and it extracted a 20D00104.FIR file
I ran the EOS1DMK2102.EXE and it extracted a 1D200102.BIN file.
I connected my ScanDisk ImageMate CF writer to my laptop and connected the ACK-E2 Adapter Kit to the 20D to ensure stable power.
After I formatted the CF card in the 20D I took a photo, switched off the camera, removed the CF card and inserted into the ScanDisk to ensure that the CF and card reader is working.
After I verified the photo I removed the CF card, inserted it back into the 20D issued the format command.
I switched off the 20D, made sure it was in the P mode, removed the CF card and inserted it again in the card reader.
I copied the 20D00104.FIR file to the root directory of the card, selected "Firmware Ver.1.0.2" and pressed the "SET" button, selected "yes" to confirm the update and after about two minutes it was done.
I switched off the 20D, removed the AC adapter and inserted a normal 511A battery. I switched on the 20D and took a photo to ensure that it was working. No hassles.
The update worked like a charm.
I must add that I never experienced any freezes although I constantly changed lenses between the MkII and the 20D. However I never change any lenses when the cameras are turned on.
My 20D's serial number is 0230111939.

The MkII's update also worked like a charm.

I suppose it must have been the wine.

Happy clicking!!!

Nico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2004, 3:20 PM   #7

Good wine and good luck.