Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2004, 3:25 PM   #1

I was very disappointed to get a new 20D with massive amounts of dust on the sensor (See jpg). There was also a large chunk in the viewfinder and improperly calibarated metering.All that dirt without any lens changes. It's now at Canon for 'repair'. Has anyone else had this problem?javascript:emoticon(':-x',%20'images/emoticons/sport-smiley-005.gif')
Attached Images

slerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:40 PM   #2

This is pretty common now. I'd bet tht everyone would see some dust if they did a test (but not necessarily advise them to do so if they haven't nocided any problems with the images.)

Of course it's disappointing to get a brand new camera with a dusty sensor, and doesn't speak well for Canon's quality control. I could see dust spots in images in my 20D when pretty new though I never bothered / noticed anything in my 300D.

More unfortunately, Canon service doesn't have the greatest reputation for cleaning the dust (at least in my region..). However, they will do it for free (at least when the camerais under warranty, and perhaps evenafter usage when it's no longer new.

I didn't bother sending mine back (though I thought about it) because of the poor reputation, and because I expected to have to learn how to do it sooner or later.

Rob Galbraith's recommends a particular line of sensor brushes. I think it may be worth a try:

http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/con...id=7-6460-7296
Madwand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 12:50 PM   #3

I did dust test and the hot pixel test and found none in my camera. I also never had the lockup problem. I do recommend that everyone do both test.

Phil
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2004, 1:51 PM   #4

Madwand: You're right about needing to eventually clean the sensor. I wouldn't have sent the 20D to Canon repair except there was non-reachable dust in the viewfinder and a problem with the meter calibration. I've used the Copper Hill kit for my 10D without problem-- http://www.pbase.com/copperhill/image/15473243.
slerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2004, 1:23 AM   #5

I noticed some "specks" on my 20D three days after I bought it. LIke you, I did not chcange the lens. I took it to a local camera shop. The repair guy looked at it, cleaned with with a blowr/brush, and it looked worse! I even bought sensor 'swabs" from photographic solutions and it didn't really help either. Monday this week, I drove an hour away and brought the camera to Canon ( Irvine, Ca) They looked at it, and offered to replace the focusing screen which is in back order. I have to check back with them in two weeks and they will replace it. Meanwhile, I am taking pictures, and luckily, the 'specks" on the photos are minimal. Yes I agree, it's annoying to look at a dirty viewfinder specially when the camera is less than a week old.
Wren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2004, 8:25 PM   #6

I've had a problem with flash exposure in low light indoor photos. I had to FE Lock on something dark then take the picture. Otherwise my pictures come out dark. Is this sound like the problem you had???
Heidi and Hans is offline   Reply With Quote