Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 6, 2004, 10:26 PM   #1

What do you feel is your interest in photography?? To use your camera tocapture those special moments or possibly take pictures for either a lil profit or alot! I had to ask, because i wonder, how many people can live with a camera that is worth under 2 grand(which is alot, i know) compared to a camera that's worth 4grand and up? Are those cameras just meant for the Pro's or do you believe they have a place in everyday life situations?? I feel likethis sometimes, trying to figure what i want to do with my passion for photography. At first it was just to capture those special moments, but after the bug bit me(hard to, still have a scar) i'm wanting more!! I'm new here so please don't think i'm:?. Lately i've been doing alot of high school sports(action shots), feeling the energy from the players can be exciting to capture.. I've emailed alot of different Pro's asking questions about this great thing called photography. And yet i still wonder where i want to go next.. I'll leave now....Exit Stage Left.................Opps that's right! Thanks again!!:|
macatack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2004, 9:08 AM   #2

Personally, I find this to be an interesting question. Nothing wrong with this one at all. It's nice to have something non-technical for a change.

My interest in photography is multi-fold.
I like getting a picture of something I find beautiful or interesting. And then I like sharing it with others.

I like the challenge of trying to capture the image I want. This is often harder than I expect in ways I don't expect. Of course, that is part of the learning process (some refer to it as "Seeing like a camera".) On the other hand, this can some times get in the way, I feel... I find that I don't always enjoy the moment I'm in 'cause I'm thining about the shot.

I use my camera for fun now and maybe profit in the future.

I can say that I can live with a camera body that is under 2 grand, but I must admit to having a lens worth over 7 grand.

I get the feeling you are asking about those expensive camera bodies because you would like to have one. Let me tell you a secret. A camera is a tool. Absolutely nothing more. The "Professional" camera bodies are really great, extremely flexable tools. But they are still a tool. If you were cutting some wood to make a bench, you'd get a different saw than if you were building a house. Its the same deal. Now, some people want that "professional" saw any ways 'cause it's their nature. Nothing wrong with that. It might be wasted on them (and the normal one might do just as good a job for them) or they might learn and grow with it and it could be a perfect fit.

In my opinion, a professional grade camera is wasted in most people's "everyday life situation." Of course, if you're eveyday life includes chasing a 3 year old, then a camera with a fast shutter release, quick powerup, and fast AutoFocus might be exactly what you need (there are non-pro cameras that can do that, but not many. And the Pro body will still do it better.)

Sports photography does look like fun. Getting sucked into a game where the players really care (as they usually do at the highschool level) is a great thing.

Does that answer your questions? Oh, wait. You asked if they are worth it. For some people no and others yes. All depends on if you have the money and do you need what they offer (do better than other cameras.) They are not exclusively for "professionals" as I know several non-pros who have them and need them 'cause of what they do. But that is because of what they shoot, not who they are.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:15 AM   #3

over the past several years my interest in digital cameras has turned from hobby shooter to enthusiastic amateur. I want to carry my camera everywhere to capture some great moments. These moments may only be great to me. I have been upgrading my knowledge to understand more about photography. I will be retiring in a couple of years and may consider trying to turn my hobby into a money adventure. As Eric pointed out, the camera is the tool and photography is an art.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:22 AM   #4

Thanks Eric for the response. It was a question i thought i needed to ask. Sometimes i feel people get to caught up in the tech part of photography then the picture taking itself. I know i have at times. Especially when camera companies come out with new eye candy. But it isn't about the gear as much as it is the user. The camera is just a tool to further a vision you have. For myself, i'm torn between film and digital still. I don't have deadlines to make and i have more faith in my abilities to capture the shot i want(sometimes). I might buy the Canon 20D or i might just stay where i'm at right now in my photography equipment and possibly buy a new lense. Besides all this, i see your from Mass. Patriots and Bo Socks Fan?? I live in Michigan and the Patriots are the best!!!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 11:30 AM   #5

It has been about the same for me. My first digital camera was a Canon A5 a whopping 1.3 mega-pixel:G. Then a Pro Shot 90IS and now my Digital Rebel. But most of my photography learning has been with my Canon Elan 7e. I've kept Canon pretty busy in my house. It includes Rebel G, Rebel 2000,Elan 7e, A5, Pro 90 IS and Digital Rebel. Maybe that's why i feel the need for a EOS-1 series camera. I've done all the entry level there is:-). I have found too with the pictures i've taken especially the sports to do art type things to them(I like messing with PS Elements 2.0). In the next few months i hope to have a Wacom tablet to mess around more better! A picture sometimes is perfect by itself, but other times it doesn't hurt to give it a kick!!
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:36 PM   #6

From those that I have talked with, the lower end smaller Wacom's aren't that great. But if you step up one tier they are very nice. I've used their stuff before (But not for picture editing) and Wacom makes very good stuff.

I'm a passive sports fan. If in the mood, I watch some of a game. But I don't paint my face and jump up and down yelling and screeming when the games are on.

If you take lots of pictures, it might be financially better to get the 20D. But you really have to take lots of pictures (with good film) before it works out that way.

Eric
eric s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 12:44 PM   #7

I don't think there is anything wrong with getting caught up with the techie part. And if you have the money, who is to say that you can't buy so & so coz you are not a professional.

I started with p&s last year and now I have spent around $4k and it is still a hobby. It makes me happy to take pictures and share with my freinds & family. I can't put a $ figure on enjoyment factor.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 3:37 PM   #8

Very good question and well put.

Over the last 40 years I have worked as an Industrial/Advertising/technical photographer/Cinematographer.

I now shoot for my own pure enjoyment. I have embraced the new technology and find it overall as an improvement in image capture.

Granted, I now have a substantial investment in hardware/software, but no more than I had 20 years ago. So I feel that my return on investment is good.

At 65, I do look at things differently both literally and figuratively. My chances for a usable shot are better. My knowledge of the human mind lets me forecast what other people will find interesting a little easier.

I am moving into a new subject area of horse shows and carraces. Similar in concept but vastly different from each other.

I make enough money from my shooting to keep me in hardware.

But- Photography is a means to an end - not the end itself. I don't need to know if a certain lenshits a specific point on a chart. I thrill at the prospect of getting that shot with the tools at hand.

I still get shivers when I walk into an early morning scenario and know its my opportunity to get that one satisfing photograph.

Being armed with good gear reduces an area of potential concern and allows me to concentrate on the shoot itself. However, I can't say that any camera/lens combination was totally responsible for the end result.

Photography has opened many doors for me, some of which are inside this old body.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2004, 5:44 PM   #9

Great question.

I think it just depends on your personality and needs.

If you look at Vito and some of the others (including me)on this forum, they are using older camera's, yet taking some great pics. I think there is a lot to be said about seeing the shot, not just taking the shot. And sometimes it's all about making do with what you have.

--------
Ryan
RyanH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2004, 7:40 AM   #10

RyanH-

Thats it exactly. If this is your current mindset - you are on your way to some of the best photographic experiences of your life. The great camera chase does get in the way of true photographic progress.
Setiprime is offline   Reply With Quote