Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Canon EOS dSLR

Old Oct 11, 2004, 9:49 PM   #1

I'm thinking about getting the wireless remote control for my DRebel. Does anybody own one of these and if so, how well does it work? Do you have to aim it at a certain point on the camera or anything? Also is there any delay when you press the shutter button on the remote? Thanks
planters49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 11, 2004, 10:59 PM   #2

planters49 wrote:
Quote:
I'm thinking about getting the wireless remote control for my DRebel. Does anybody own one of these and if so, how well does it work? Do you have to aim it at a certain point on the camera or anything? Also is there any delay when you press the shutter button on the remote? Thanks

The RC-1 has two positions

Instant or 2-sec delay

You have to aim it at the grip (front of the cam) ,where theIR sensor is located

It works pretty well, mine gives me about 5 meters, don´t know how my batteries tho..

If u have a PDA u can clone the remote function and save some bucks

:-)

Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:11 PM   #3

I have a HP ipaq 2210, how do I use it to trigger the remote?
Old Oct 11, 2004, 11:18 PM   #4

planters49 wrote:
Quote:
:roll:dunno about the win pda version

I saw it in Palm Os, with Omniremote, u can get someone mail u the remote database (previously captured form a rc-1) or u can capture it yourself

I guess there´s a remote application for your ipaq at download.com

Go to a photo equipment store and point and shoot a Rc-1 to your ipaq

p.s. excuse my english, i´m from argentina

Majestic Twelve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 6:34 AM   #5

I use both the RC1 and the wired remote. I like the wireless a lot and use it most of the time. It has a base plate that I snaps securely onto. There is a small lever to release it. The plate has slots in it so you can wear it on your camera strap so you always have it with you. I was surprised at the small size when I first saw one in person. If you haven't seen one, they're a little bigger than a tube of Chapstick.

The sensor is on the front of the camera gripunder your middle finger when you are holding the camera normally. It works well for tripod work. There is a bit more lag time than with a wired remote but split-second timing is not usually a requirement for me. I like it for night shots as I don't have to fumble around in the dark or turn on a flashlight to plug it in. The 2 second delay feature is through a switch on on the remote, not the camera and is great for family and self-portraits. Youcankeep the remote outof the picture that way.For the camera to see the wireless remote you switch the drive mode to 10 second delay so don't forget to restore the setting when you're finished or the next time you use the shutter button, it will count 10 before firing the shutter. That one has bitten me a few times. The wireless remote does not give you a half-press of the shutter function for focusing or metering exposure.

The wired remote has some strengths too. No more shutter lag than the on-camera button. Don't need to change drive mode to use it. Half-press of the shutter is available. More reliable.

that's my 2 cents worth

David
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 9:05 AM   #6
NHL

planters49 wrote:
Quote:
FYI

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin...thread.cgi?676
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 7:54 PM   #7

One more quesiton. Do you have to aim the remote at the front of the camera or can you stand behind it and use it?
Old Oct 12, 2004, 8:15 PM   #8

You have to be in front or to the side of the camera.
gibsonpd3620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 10:55 PM   #9

planters49 wrote:
Quote:
One more quesiton. Do you have to aim the remote at the front of the camera or can you stand behind it and use it?
You can stand behind and reach around easily, the sensor is in the front of the camera in the grip
Amateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2004, 11:31 PM   #10

Ok, thanks everyone for the info.